1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Preamp with Compressor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lester4string, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Im looking for a Rack Preamp with Compressor, possibly with up to three inputs, so that I can plug in my freted, fretless and upright and switch between them as needed. Any Suggestions?

I can get the tonal properties I desire from either my LMIII or SVT 5 pro. I guess Im looking a a quick and easy way of switching between the three different impedences of the instrument outputs on the fly. I have been using my Mackie board to do this, but I can hear the color differences between using the board, and plugging into the amps, plus the board is not rackable.

Is there a Rack preamp/processor/multieffect that has a good compressor that I could just make different patches/banks for the different instruments. Im using a Line 6 floor pod, and it sort of does what I want, but is very limited. I want more bells and whistles.

2. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Can't think of any bass preamp with that many inputs, but tonal properties should play a huge part in your buying decision. What kind of sound are you looking for?

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I think the Marcus Miller preamp by SWR will get you close. It has two inputs and a compressor. When I have to do that I take an A/B switcher or usually my tonebone in input two (usually both electrics and use the other channel for the upright.

Other amps you might want to consider with a switcher are the Genz Benz Shuttle 12.0 or an Epifani 502/902 with two channel of programmability. And then add the compressor you like best.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Might wanna read through the various thread on the TC electronic RH450. It has a built-in compressor, provides a tube tone function, is said to be capable of copping the sound of venerable tube amps, and although it lacks three inputs, it provides memories (foot switch selectable if you wish) with which you can select from among your saved tonal preferences.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's no harm in running your regular basses into an input with very high input impedance suitable for your piezo-loaded URB. So my recommendation would be to focus on getting a preamp with very high z in, and then just getting a regular switcher (like from Radial or Lehle) for A/B/C switching.

Also there are a few preamps designed to accept both 1/4" instrument inputs and XLR mic inputs; the Focusrite Tone facory and the Summit TB-2A come to mind. In those cases, you would get a DI box with a very high z in (like the Countryman for example) and run your URB through that into the mic input.

6. Thanks everyone! This has given me plenty to read up on