1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by skin, Jun 13, 2007.

1. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    I have decided to junk everything and go with a rack preamp and stereo power amp setup. I'd like to find a used one that had versatility (tube and solid state) and a wide range with some great headroom for my Kubicki Ex Factor. It does not have to have a compressor or bi amp outs, but that would also be neat. I plan on pairing it up with a set of Bill Fitzmaurice cabs.

Is there anything out there for maybe $ 150 that would do the trick?

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    150.00 might be a little low for what you want.You might find an older Carvin preamp for a little more money. I personally use a Pearce BC-1 preamp,and all my basses,especially the 2 Kubickis,sound great through it. I don't think you gain much,if any,by using a tube pre,and a ss poweramp.Might as well use a hybrid head.If you want tube tone,you gotta go all tube. I'd try to find a Pearce first. 2 independent channels with gain 3 way tone/sweepable mids,effects loop,and master volume for each channel.There is a nice little limiter at the end of the chain,to help balance everything out. They are great.Good luck in your search.

3. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    I'll start the digging... BTW, what power amp are you using and wattage?

4. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Perhaps hard to find, but I'd suggest looking for a Peavey Max pre. I think it doesn't come up often on TB but when it does it seems to have positive reviews. I like mine, but should qualify that since I bought it I haven't been in a band -- It's all been noodling at home. Regardless, I believe it's going to be quite nice -- I can get some tube overdrive when I want it, or I can get extremely flexible solid state tone, or I can blend them.

Hoobass

5. d sage

d sage

May 16, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I'd suggest a Yamaha PB-1. Around $200. They aren't made anymore and if you are patient you might do better on the price. I have one that I replaced with a Demeter HBP1. The Yamaha sounds almost as good at way less than half the price!! The EQ is excellent with a parametric, fully adjustable 2 way crossover for those inclined to that, DI, beautiful big clean sound, and built like a tank! I hadn't thought of selling mine but if you want it send me a PM and I might be persuaded.
    The preamp is the critical piece to determine you tone. The power amp just makes it louder and there are a lot of high quality brands that will do. For power I use a Crown XTi 2000 (1600 - 2000 watts depending on how I hook up the cabs) in to Bergantino's.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I picked up my Ampeg SVP-BSP for 200 bucks. My power amp is a Carver 2.0i for 200 bucks. They don't make Carver's anymore. This one has been modded to be mono. A lot of juice is wasted on the stereo aspect of power amps. I'm pushing 1000W Mono out one hole at 4 Ohms.
    I'm really happy with my sound. Love my pre-amp. It's a split channel amp.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021