1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CarvinDude45, Jan 10, 2012.

  1. CarvinDude45


    Jan 10, 2012
    Hey guys, I have a Carvin PB-300 and I am looking for a rack case for it, Just the head, People ask me if its 4 space of 3 space and I do not know, I am kind of new to this so understand lol. Any idea what case I need to get?
  2. 96tbird

    96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

    I can't help with your question other than saying a rack space is a standard size of say an effect module, and all rackable components are multiples of that size. I really don't know what the exact measurement is, about 2 inches/

    For future reference, by hardware we mean tuners and bridges, etc. Your question belongs in the amps forum I think. Peace.
  3. bongomania

    bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Each "rack space" or "rack unit" (RU) is 1.75" high. So you measure the height of the amp in inches, and divide by 1.75. FWIW, all standard rack gear is 19" wide, while the depth (from face-plate with knobs to back-plate with jacks) may be any amount. So when shopping for a rack, be sure it is at least as deep front-to-back as your amp, but not a crazy amount deeper. No sense hauling a rack that's 24" deep if your amp is only 11" deep, for example.
  4. ccouch7


    Feb 14, 2009
    One rack space = 1.75"

    Two rack space = 3.5"

    Three rack space = 5.25"

    Four rack space = 7.0"

    Tall that is, as Bongomania said all standard rack gear = 19.0" wide.;)
  5. spaz21387


    Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon

Share This Page