1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Rig Assembled - Opinions and Questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashtray, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Ok, so I have a hodgepodge of things that I will be assembling together in a rack. The ultimate purpose is for this to be my "high volume" rig - for, duh, venues in which I'll need to put out a more serious amount of volume through my amp setup (and not FOH).

Alright, so here goes. I'll list it in signal chain order:

Simmons 8 Track Programmable Rack Mixer (midi)
    Rack Tuner
    Rocktron Compressor/Limiter w/ Hush II (or should this be before the mixer?)
    QSC RMX 1450 power amp (450W/side @ 4ohms)
    Furman Power Supply

So, question 1: is it ok to use the Simmons as the "preamp"?
    Question 2: I normally keep the eq pretty flat anyways, will the tone "suck" without using a bass preamp? (too hifi, etc?)

Other thoughts on this setup?
    (I'm going to try to keep the tuner out of the signal chain, if at all possible - run a line to it from the mixer, but not back in to the chain to avoid noise.)

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Don't know that mixer at all, but mixers generally make OK pre-amps.

But why have the midi side?

3. Already have the mixer... it's midi programmable, so with a midi footpedal for example, I could switch to 64 different setups. This doesn't do too much for me, except I could set 2 or 3 different tones in with the eq, and save them, and switch between them for different songs... but I normally just use one tone all night anyways.

4. The Idea of using the mixer as a pre is OK, it'll do the job and give you some flexability. Play it for a while like this and then one day change to a tube pre like an F1-X or SVP-Pro. You'll notice a world of difference.