1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RACK RIGS??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Feb 18, 2005.

1. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Maybe :)

I have a Bmax-T and a QSC PLX 3402 in a 3-space SKB roll-x rack. Great power-to-weight ratio and it's got wheels and a handle so I can pull it around like a piece of luggage.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The beauty of rack rigs is modularity. I have a compressor, a parametric equalizer, and four different preamps. I enjoy mixing and matching to suit the gig or my mood. :)

3. I, personally, have bypassed the head/cab route altogether in liew of this rack modularity. Over the years, I have suffered from hardcore GAS, and come down to this being my "one-stop" tone shop. I've finally become comfortable with the idea of the rack, and as long as your preamp section makes you happy, you can always "upgrade" your power amp as your needs grow, usually for little money.

Currently I've got:
    Power: Monster Pro2500 Power Conditioner
    PreAmp: Ampeg SVP-PRO
    FX: Line6 Bass PodXTPRO
    Juice: Peavey PV-2600 Power Amp

That's it. It's simple, and ****ing LOUD. The beauty of this system, is that(at least as far as I am concerned) has given me, if anything TOO many choices for tone. I can get damned near any sound I can think of. Some I can't even imagine. Racks have helped stifle my GAS...to an extent.

4. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    1. Furman power conditioner
    2. Korg DTR-1000 tuner
    3. DBX 160A compressor
    4. Ampeg SVT IV Pro head

That's all il have in my rack. It could easily fit in a 6 space rack, but I chose to get a 10 space rack to give everything some breathing space so none if it over heats.

5. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

P1010013edit.jpg

Rack #1
    - Carvin power conditioner
    - Korg tuner
    - Lexicon MPX-100
    - Demeter HBP-1 tube preamp
    - DBX 166xl compressor
    - Ampeg SVP-PRO tube preamp

Rack#2
    - Juice Goose power conditioner
    - Emu Planet Earth sound module
    - Axon AX-100SB MIDI converter
    - Alesis Studio 12R mixer

Rack #3
    - Crest CA-9 (900watts/4ohms x2)

The only thing that has changed is that I put the Ampeg SVP-Pro into Rack# 3 for a 1 rack solution when I don't need my MIDI rig and EUB.

6. Nice! :hyper: What do you do with the mixer?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I mix things :D j/k

well, actually I do mix things.....my clean bass signal, MIDI bass, Clevinger EUB, theremin, Boss RC-20 used to trigger samples, and sometimes a Roland SPD-20 elec. drums.

I'm working on sending all the MIDI/drum/theremin signals to one side of my rig and the basses to the other side.

8. I dont want to say the same thing as everyone else has because they pretty muched covered all the aspects...except for one i find to be a life saver. If you choose to go with some sort of rackmountable head(Say an SVT-Pro 3) That has Tube-Pre's or is a completely tube head you are going to want invest in a rack you can set on the floor. I know it is the classic look to put your amp on top of your cabinet, but when you get thumpin, those tubes heat up and you can shorten the life very quickly. The tubes become more fragile when they heat up and then your vibrate them at such a low frequency they can just crack. (I spent alot in repairs before i figured that out) and now i havent had any problems since i invested in a rolling rack.
    Oh yeah...and rack drawers are the best damn thing you can do. I keep all my cables, set lists, wireless receiver, 6-packs, and extra smokes in there. Its definelty a lifesaver on the road.

9. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Again, I can't emphasize this point enough. A rack drawer is the best thing I ever stuck in my rack. Absolutely indispensable!

On a side note, I am looking to upend my Sabine rack tuner. You guys that have the Korg ones, what is the real difference between the DTR-1000 and DTR-2000? My biggest complaint with my RT-1601 is that it doesn't lock very well onto bass notes. It seems to hang too much. So which one is best for bass?

Thanks!

jtg

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Racks are cool. I used to have many versions depending on the gig, etc.

When I started to down-size my rig, the rack gear went, too. I use a Bergantino HT112 cab. It's all I need these days. My rack(s) used to be bigger than my cab. I thought that was a little rediculous.

I went to a BDDI for a preamp/DI and an Acoustic Image SA III for a power amp. I can put the power amp, BDDI and effects pedal in a brief case. Light, portable, easy and quick to set up, and I take what I need to the gig.

Just another option that is as flexible as a rack and as portable as a combo, but with options.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    My Rack.

NewRackShot.jpg

Simple, lightweight, sounds awesome and kicks some serious booty!

Now for your questions.

1. The normal bare minimum is preamp, power amp and a sturdy rack.

2. Your options are legion. Anything from tuners to power conditioners to effect units to additional preamps to rack drawers to recording devices to...well...etc.

3. Sorry man, pick a device and ask a question.

4. For the simplest setup, brand new, would be around $700.

Check out these links.
    Sansamp RBI
    QSC RMX 850
    Gator rack (4 sp) - This will leave you 1 space for fx, tuner, power cond, whatever.

Shop around and you can get better pricing. Buy used and you can get better pricing. Buy used and spend the same money and get a lightweight power amp.

:D

Joe.

12. bmradio99

bmradio99

Nov 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    My current rig consists of:
    - Furman Power Conditioner
    - Sennheiser wireless system
    - Korg rack tuner
    - '90's Ampeg SVT-II Pro
    - Almighty rack drawer
    - Some spacers
    And all of this is wrapped up in a 12-space Road Ready case with WHEELS, sent to my big ol' Ampeg 8x10.

I love my rig. I absolutely adore the thing. My '78 P-Bass just ROARS through it. However...road wear has taken it's toll on the SVT-II and it's spending a lot of time in the shop. Plus...it's really really heavy. So I think it's time to get a preamp / power amp going on in there to save weight and make my rig more road-durable.

Keeping in mind that I LOVE my SVT-II and play with a good amount of overdrive in my sound (listen: www.myspace.com/thematerial )...what's a good combination? I'm also leary of the traditional stereo power amps...where they excel in quality, I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable with an Ampeg power amp assuming it's voiced specifically for bass guitar. (Am I completely off base here? I have a feeling a few people will tell me I am.)

My initial inclination would be the SVP-Pro or SansAmp Bass Driver rackmount into the big Ampeg solid-state power amp. Has anyone else built something to try to emulate the wonderful sound of an overdriven tube bass amp? I've always wanted to try some Aguilar stuff, maybe a DB 680 or DB 659?

(My backup amp is an SVT-3. It gets the job done live, but I'd like something that sounds a little more tube-y.)

Thanks!

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Which manufacturers make high quality rack-mounted effects?

Which retailers/websites sell high quality rack effects?

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Another member of the blue light RBI club. Cheers! :)

15. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I have a Carver PM 300 power amp,
    i'm a little confused about setting it up
    in stereo mode (two 8ohm cabs) it has
    banana plugs (two red on top two blk bottom)
    so one cab each, red top&blk bottom,bridge mono
    switch set to stereo mode,

line out from the presonus tube pre to left channel of power amp only powers up one side,so do ineed to use a Y jack
    from the single out of the pre to get both sides working
    or use both the xlr and 1/4 out together w/two different
    cables?

on another note i have a SABDDI that i hooked up
    using line out to one channel of the power amp and
    another line out from the SA parallel to the other channel,
    this worked for both channels but how would i DI?:help:

EB/

16. My rack consists of the following from top to bottom:

Alesis compressor
    BBE Sonic Maximizer
    Sabian Tuner
    (space for the amp fan to breath)
    GK 700rbII

I get nothing but compliments on my tone. This is a basic set up. Nothing flashy but the BBE and the compressor really do help defining my tone and pushing it in a loud crowded room.

17. NO! Red to cab A + black to cab A -.
    Other red to cab B + other black to cab B -

One red to + other red to - bridge mode only.

I can't find a manual, for your amp. Y cable is fine, in this case; one output to two inputs. Never Y two outputs to one input, though.

If your amp can be switched to parallel mode, use that.

If your amp has parallel inputs, say XLR, and 1/4", You can just run a short cable between your amps input channels.

Pre -> amp channel A in, amp channel A in (now acting as out, or through) -> amp channel B in. choice of 1/4" or XLR, at any of the preceding connections, is irrelevant.

Whatever is easiest is fine.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My current gigging rack.

Since I pulled the Ampeg out and went with the Markbass F1, I don't know what to do with the extra space.

DSC04503.jpg

19. can 'o worms time. :bag:

What you need is a good rack mount head.

What you can add is:

Tuner (I have one out of convenience cos it is always on when I need it and don't have to plug/switch stuff to get to it)

Compressor if you have trouble controlling your attack.

Power conditioner if you are phsychosomatic and can't make do with a good anti surge 4 gang extention cable or are drawing power from an antiquated petrol generator.

A rack light which is sometimes built into the aforementioned power conditioner so that you can check your hair in between songs.

Graphic equaliser. Gives you ultimate control over your sound but unless it is a bass specific one, you're dicking around with frequencies that you never venture into.

Wireless receiver. While you are jumping around on stage, your rig is picking up the shipping forecast.

Rack drawer. Fantastic idea except that when you pull it out, your rack falls over with the weight. Been there, had to pick it up off the floor.

Multi effects processor. Ideal if you are into devices that sap the energy from your signal. C'mon listen to Chris Squire's excessive chorus on a lot of Yes' live work. ( I am a huge Yes fan but his sound loses the balls when he fannies about (am I allowed to say that - means something different in the UK I think? ) in songs like Tempus Fugit and solos etc.

Transmordial Pipe Regulator. Sounds good and adds another unit to your rack.

A thermal discombobulator. doesn't do anything but makes your rack appear larger which impresses the ladies. Similar to the red cod piece that the guy from Cameo wore in the video for 'word up'

Okay, you can detect the sarcasm here. ;)

I personally have a Gallien Krueger 700RB II head and Fender rack tuner and that is all that i need. Anything else is more weight and of no benefit to me. I have an anti surge 4 gang attached to the back of the rack so that if anything goes wonky, my gear won't get done over.

If someone came up with something that I thought I had to have then I would consider it but I don't need any of these other things.

Das Jugghead likes this.
  20. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Ulrich,

Thanks so much,one small patch cable
    between P/Amp inputs,that's what i was missing,
    works perfect:D

yeah cab A = red+ black-
    >>> cab B = red+ black-
    both reds = bridged mono

EB/

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021