1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RACK RIGS??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Who are you directing this to?

2. I dunno but it was abit funny IMHO:D

3. Hollyrock

Hollyrock

Sep 11, 2010
    I have a rack filler with a sign on it that says, "space for rent"

4. How about getting rid of everything except for the F1 and buy yourself a pedal tuner or handheld tuner?

5. I've got one sitting behind me, its been broken for a few years.

6. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    So maybe it was working when he asked the question in 2006?:D

7. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    OK, dumb question time. I have always been a head/cab kinda guy in my 23 years of playing. So what I want to know is:

Can you use a preamp like this (Sansamp Tech 21):

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TEC-RBI

with and amp that already has a preamp section built in like this (Orange Terror Bass 500):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ror_bass_500&gclid=CP-x9KHA-6UCFSpj7AodrwvVoQ

Also, will adding a preamp to this rig compensate for a bass that has low output (a passive piezo EUB)? Or should I just turn up my amp and be done with it?

Thanks!
    Matt

8. I used to have a two space rack drawer, it was nice. But, I've sold it and my rig is a few pounds lighter without that extra steel. Weight does matter.

Ampeg svt3-pro, korg tuner, and power supply. I've tried a lexicon alex (decent sound) and a basic tc electronics effects, still looking...

Rneckties31 likes this.
  9. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA

I'm a fan of the Orange preamp section, so take what I'm saying with that caveat: Yes, you should be able to go into the RBI, then take out from the RBI to the Effects Return of the Orange and just use the power section.

Yes, the gain section of the preamp will compensate for the EUB, somewhat, but the problem you have is not hitting your preamp section with a hot enough signal in the first place.

You could go from the RBI into the input of the Orange, then get the gain from both...which may help.

10. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Excellent, thanks.

I just got the Ergo and I love the tone of it. I may just crank the Orange and experiment a bit before I drop some bucks on the pre. But the preamp is a pretty good deal used, so I dunno.:bassist:

11. BassistofGUN

BassistofGUN

Jan 18, 2011
    So, I might be hitting this in the wrong thread, but tax return season is coming up and since my last bass head was stolen [I'm not sad it was a behringer 1800] I'm getting a nice rack setup. Getting all this and, I'm just wanting to make sure I've got my facts straight.

Rack case [6U]
    Furman Power conditioner
    Tech 21 PSA 1
    Power amp [haven't decided on one]

My cabinets are a couple of custom cabs, 2x10 and 1x15, loaded with Mesa's. Running out of the
    PSA out 1 & 2
    Poweramp in 1 & 2
    Poweramp out

and this is where I get confused
    Both cabs are 8 ohms

2x10 has 2 quarter inch inputs
    1x15 has 1 quarter inch input

If I daisy the 2 cabs together [4 ohms] into one channel, will I overload the power amp [assuming its rated at each channel 8 ohms] or do I need to run each channel into both cabs individually?

Sorry for the complicated question, I'm just quite lost on the power amp part of this whole process.

12. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Usually, Power-amps are designed for 4ohm loads per channel - if the amp is bridgable, you can run the resulting single channel down to 2 ohm load.

So I would route it:
    bass -> Tech 21 PSA1 -> Output -> Poweramp input

13. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    2 ohms will turn it into a smoke machine. Bridged - 8ohms.

14. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011

Quite right!
    I was confused with my own power-amp, which goes 2ohm channel-wise and results in a 4ohm min load for bridged mode

15. BassistofGUN

BassistofGUN

Jan 18, 2011
    Is bridging super cool, or popular? I wouldn't think that you'd wanna bridge if you can achieve a 4 ohm load on 2 cabinet running parallel. Hit that 4 ohm load on 1 channel for the most boom. Bridging I'm assuming is mostly for running 1 cabinet with a lower total resistance, with more headroom going to it.

But you have answered my questions, and I thank you.

16. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Bridging allows you to access the power of both channels and combine it into one channel

Say a power-amp is rated 100W@8Ohm, 200W@4Ohm, 300W@2Ohm per channel and has two channels.
    If you bridge it, you get something like
    600W@4Ohm
    400W@8Ohm
    200W@16Ohm

Edit: Please note that not all power-amps are bridgable

17. BassistofGUN

BassistofGUN

Jan 18, 2011
    What kind of cables should I be using to connect all this? [obviously speaker cable from the power amp to cabs]
    Speaker, instrument, ect?

Thank you again for all your help!

18. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    That depends on the power-amp.
    Somepower-amps will allow briding by using the PLUS from channel 1 and the NEG from channel 2.
    Some have a dedicated output for brdiged mode
    some require you to use PLUS 1 and PLUS 2 from a 4-point SpeakOn connector...

Impossilbe to say in general

19. I've seen a couple people mention it. My close friend and bass mentor of sorts owns the Sansamp RBI, and it's STELLAR. It does above and beyond what you're paying for.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Ouch. You must go through a whole lot of amps. :crying:

Many decent power amps are rated at either 4 or 2 ohm loads. If you bridge, consider that to mean it can drive a single 8ohm load if it does 4 per side and 4ohm if it's 2 per side.

And to the thread necromancer, I always suggest getting the SMALLEST rack you can for gigging. A 6 or more rack becomes a hassle and a burden really quickly. I won't do more than 4 space and love 3 space racks. Also, if you need to carry a bunch of extra stuff, use two racks and stack them. Way more modular that way.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021