1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RACK RIGS??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Feb 18, 2005.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

To each their own - I love my rack rig, but would never have anything like what you just described...

Speaking from the experience, gigging with a bulky/heavy rack gets old real quick - if you gig with any frequency, that is...

- georgestrings

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Even with semi-frequency it gets problematic. Also, I have a rule which says that if I can't comfortably lift and carry a piece of equipment, I won't own it. I know that there will be some days I have to do stuff alone. I learned that lessons a few decades ago when I had to carry my old Kustom 3x15 up three flights of stairs for load in to a downtown practice room.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Oh,, I could never do that.. I was doing a major tour. they had fork lifts.. The darn stages were arena stages . that are 6 feet off the hockey rink floor. you could never lift that..:eek: The rack alone was over 100 pounds with the front and rear covers.
    I still do those gigs but im down to a nice 2 space rack with a Genz Streamliner or Mesa Mpulse 600 90% of the time with my REDDI DI .
    I just picked up a GK MB Fusion800 that is racked with a 1 space dbx comp.. all fits in a 2 space rack like this
    photo-6.gif

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Here is my current rack Ha ..Tiny compared to years ago.. It does the job well i must say.. My Streamliner is my my designated fly amp now so it is out of the rack

photo-5.gif

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    This - I've given away a couple of rack drawers because I found them not to be worth the weight tradeoff... Anything I would put in a rack drawer will also go in a gig bag...

- georgestrings

6. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    +1

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    And you can fit way more in a decent gig bag. Tonight it was all my cords, 2 pedals, 10 mic cords, 6 mics, 2 sets of speaker cables (25ft and 35ft sets), spare tubes, extra patch cables, extra strings, 2 power strips, outlet tester, extra power cables and two extension cords. All on one shoulder while I brought a 4 space rack in one hand and a little PA mixer in the other.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Those are the two amps I mostly gig with, too - if I had a REDDI, I'd certainly use it, but both amps have excellent DIs, so I'm not hurting myself any there... I probably will pick up a REDDI in the future, but it isn't high on the priority list right now...

- georgestrings

9. You can really go crazy with this.

The most common is, power conditioner(the only thing you plug into the outlet as everything else plugs into this). Pre amp, Power amp or all in 1 bass head, and a tuner.

Right now I have a SWR750x(for a power amp), Sans amp RBI(pre amp), Furman PL8(power conditioner), Korg Tuner, XLR panel, and a rack Shelf for pedals that are always on.

In the past I've also had not only my wireless in it but my singers as well. I've used rack drawers up to 4 spaces which are nice for storing extra strings batteries, parts, cables pretty much anything that will fit. There are tons of rackmount effect processors out there. rackmount compressors, If you have a keyboard player they can use a simple midi controller and you can put a sound module in the rack, for example the korg Triton Rack which is a more road worthy situation than lugging an all in one Keyboard workstation.

Attached Files:

10. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Is that where you put your cabinet?

11. WalWarrior

WalWarrior

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    Here is a pic of my Tube amp Rig. My rack rig is a large Mesa road ready beast loaded for bear. Bottom up - I have a Mesa 400+, separated by large fan unit, a vintage ART Nightbass system, a 31 band EQ, another Fan unit, an Alembic Pre, a Korg Tuner and then a top of the line Furman power conditioner to protect it all. This rack powers 2 MESA rack ready road cabinets. This is the Rig Macca used on his 2009 Driven Tour. Tube_Amps.jpg

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021