Rack Setup question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agentcooper2001, Dec 9, 2003.

1. I just sold my bass amp and now I've bought a preamp and poweramp and need a little help with how to hook this stuff up. I need to know what order to hook them up in and what kind of cables I should get. Here's what I've got:

Aguilar DB659 preamp
    Crown CE-2000 power amp
    Korg DT1000 tuner
    Furman PL8 power conditioner

I'll be using a older model SWR Goliath Sr. cabinet. It has 1/4" inputs on the back and then it has two more inputs to the side of those. I'm not sure what these are. They aren't speakon inputs though. They are red and black and have a positive and negative sign. The cabinet says it's 4 ohms. Does this mean I should bridge my power amp to 4 ohms mono? Do I need to adjust the volume on the power amp so I don't screw up my speakers?

Sorry for so many questions. If I've posted this in the wrong place, let me know and I'll delete this.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The cable from your bass should go directly into the Aguilar. From the Aguilar you will go directly into the Crown. I do not own the Aguilar pre, but some pre-amps have a tuner out. If not, I believe you can hook the tuner into the effects loop.

The power cords from the Aguilar, Crown, and Korg will all plug into the back of your Furman. Plug the Furman into the wall, alone. Don't try to share that wall plug in with your guitar player, and the light guy. :)

Brand of cables? People will argue all day about brand. Go with what you want, but make sure to buy good quality. You have some good gear, so don't try to save a buck on some cheap cables.

Kind of cables? If I am not mistaken, you will need Speak-ons going in, and out of the Crown. From the Aguilar to the Crown, you will have to go 1/4 or XLR out. You will then need an adapter to convert that to Speakon to go into the Crown.

Those connectors on the back of your cab are referred to as "banana plugs". Many people are of the opinion that they are better than 1/4, especially when you get in to high wattage applications. I feel that way. If you shop at a reputable music store, they will know what you are looking for if you ask for a cable with banana plugs on it.

Bridge into 4ohm mono? The Crown puts out 1950 watts when you bridge it at 4ohms. 660 watts per side at 4ohm stereo. I doubt you will need to bridge into that SWR, but that's your call. Keep an eye on your volumes for sure. You got a pretty powerful amp.