Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Size? Weight? Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I'm building. The "Big Amp". I have a highly portable rig in a WWU and a pair of Berg 112's. I considering building a Rack and I'm deliberating between 4 and six spaces.

4 space

Power Coditioner
    Ampeg SVP-CL
    Crest CA-9

6 space

Power Coditioner
    Ampeg SVP-CL
    Crest CA-9
    RNC compresser
    Tuner.

Considering What I own Allready Should I go For Broke and Build 6 space or Try and Maintain Sanity Wih 4.

Whats you Guess's With Weight?

Aj

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    The majority of your weight is in the power amp and rack anyways, sot he difference between a 4U and a 6U is going to be negligible...

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    You Seem to Contadict your self there yes a big difference will be the actual rack units in size and wieght. Worth it?

AJ

4. Might as well go for the 6 space, the compressor and tuner aren't going to add more than maybe a couple pounds, barely noticeable compared to the poweramp.

Besides, rack tuners and compressors are both very handy things to have IMO.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my 2 cents...........

i've had 6 space, 4 space, small heads, big heads, etc.

6 space is a pain compared to 4 space - especially in terms of where it will fit in a vehicle.

right now i use two skb 2-space racks. one for my poweramp, and one for my preamp. a regular old power strip fits in the back of the rack containing the preamp for travel.
    both fit anywhere in a vehicle (even a 4 space rack can be cumbersome when shoehorning it into a car)

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Thats what I was thinking that it really made a difference. Remember though this the Big Rig so Its not like it goes every where.

What about the power amp in a 2 space and the Pre + in a Four?

Aj

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    AJ, I have the following gear in a lightweight plastic rack by Gator Case:
    Furman PL-Plus power conditioner
    Read Purity tube preamp
    Crest CA-9

I'm guessing the total weight is close to 80 lbs, but IMO the end result is worth it.

-Art

8. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Here is my main guitar rack, coming in at about 700 lbs.

[​IMG]

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thats what i did with my 'big rig'. I put the CA9 in its own 2 space rack and then I have a 4 and 6 space shallow rack. Stacks and looks nice at the gig and easier to move. Sometimes I put the amp on the floor and just have the preamp rack on the cab.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the other nice thing about this is i can use my little swr head as preamp too without having to schlep a 4 space or larger rack around town to do it.

big racks are fun, cool, etc. but the more you have to move them the worse it gets. and here's another thing. how many of you have ever not bought a car based on the size of your rig???? be honest now. i don't worry about that any more. tiny modular rack, tiny modular cabs. :D :D :D