Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack tuner into amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 20, 2003.

1. how would I get power to a rack tuner? Im thinking of getting a korg one. Does it plug into and outlet then go in the rack, or do you loop it through the effects or other jacks on the actual amp head? Plus, to tune, do you need to unplug your cables from your head then put them in to the tuner? Alot of shows I see, the bassist has the white face Korg tuner that has a red block that goes back and forth while playing, in a rainbow shape. thats what im looking for.

2. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Vowel guy,

My Korg DTR-1000 uses standard 110 AC. I have a small 4 outlet power strip mounted in the back of my rack case. I got some really short power cords at a computer surplus store and plug the rack tuner and amp into the power strip.

My GK1000RB has a tuner out jack in the front patch bay. That is plugged into the input for the tuner. The amp has a tuner mute that supresses output to everything except the tuner when you engage it.

My old SWR SM400 didn't have a tuner out, so I used the tuner in front of the amp. The tuner also has a mute button so you can tune silently.

Connections between the tuner and amp are simple 1/4 inch jumper cables.

Russ

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My Korg DTR-1 allows for myriad routing possibilities. There is an input on the front, and couple inputs on the back, and an output on the back. I have my tuner in the effects loop of my preamp. Looks like this:

effects send -> tuner in -> tuner out -> effects return

I actually have a compressor in there too, but that's irrelevant. The tuner has a footswitchable mute function that I use extensively.

With this setup, the tuner is always getting a signal, so it's always tuning. When I want to tune in between songs and don't want the audience to hear the "tuning song" I engage the mute function. No need to reroute cables.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I actually had a question about this also. I have an Ampeg B2R and a Korg DTR-1000. Both are rackmount of course.

So I can run the Korg in the FX loop of the B2R and then when I want to privately tune just hit mute?

If I wanted to do it the traditional way I could run guitar into "input" of tuner, then from tuner out, into "input" of amp right?

5. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

MascisMan,

I never really played with the effects loop of my amp. When I use my SM400 I use the tuner before the amp. In other words, Bass ->> Tuner ->> Amp. Then I use the mute button on the tuner to tune silently.

The only problem with this is that the output on the DTR1000 is on the back of the unit, so routing a cable from there to the front of your amp input may be an issue, depending on your rack.

Best,

Russ

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yeah I was thinking about the routing issue. I will probably just go up and over or run it through the empty slot in the middle of the rack case to the amp input. I guess I should also experiment with the FX loop..

Im also curious about that "footswitcheable mute function" that Phat Ham was talking about. I looked on my tuner and didnt see a footswitch jack or anything. HOw are you doing this Phat Ham?