1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack tuner opinions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by villegastx, Sep 29, 2017.

1. villegastx

villegastx

Jul 22, 2016
    garland texas
    I would like to buy a rack tuner to match my black face mesa gear. I like the fender rt-1000 but it is silver faced, i also like sabine tuner but its reputation is not so good, korg pitchblack looks nice but im not sure about plastic.
    I would really, really love to have a SWR RU-N2N tuner but its hard to find.
    I would like to know what tuner you use and a short review.
    Also, if somebody out there have a RU-N2N somewhere in your closet, please pm me with your price, i will buy it without excuses.
    Thanks

pjbassist likes this.
  2. Korg DTR-1 Tuner. It's great. My advice, buy quality gear instead of something because it matches color.
    A rack of everything the same color is boring. :)

3. villegastx

villegastx

Jul 22, 2016
    garland texas
    DTR-1 is a great old tuner.
    I will have just a amp, tuner and power strip, so i would like it to match if possible.
    I hope i can find a SWR tuner here, otherwise i will go with a dtr1 or a pitchblack.
    Any opinions on sabine?

4. I also use the Korg DTR 1000. Very reliable. I also have a behringer rack tuner. But it has a hard time finding the open E string or anything below it. I don't recommend it

5. The DTR 1000 is different than the DTR-1.

Munjibunga likes this.
  6. I have dtr 1000 works great for 5 strings

7. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Got a Sabine 7100 that’s been in my rack for over ten years and has always worked. It’s black too, if that’s a requirement. They’re maybe 50-70 bucks in Reverb now.

Any reason why you think the Sabines don’t have a good reputation? Honest question.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Korg DTR-1000s have been my go-to for just about forever. Have one of the old red/green led models and one of the newer blue/white led models.

I trust Korg, and both do their job well enough that I've never felt the need to look elsewhere.

I don't think I'll ever use one of their Pitch black rack tuners though - unless I'm mistaken, they have a non-mechanical on/off switch that needs to be manually turned on each and every time after powering down. One of the beautiful reasons for having rack gear is that it all comes to life with the single flip of a power-strip switch. Just IMO.

SactoBass likes this.
  9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I vote for the Peterson. By far the fastest and most accurate tracking. IME it takes about half the time of other good tuners and the result is better.

And avoid Behringer at all costs. It can’t track E or lower at all.

nbsipics, Willicious and SactoBass like this.
  10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Korg

11. KB1UHJ

KB1UHJ

Nov 7, 2015
    Sudbury, MA
  12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Big +1

By far, the best (IMO) single-space rack tuner available on planet Earth is the Peterson VS-R Stroborack. It's much faster, it has perfect tracking for all notes that you feed it, and it's *MUCH* more accurate than the other offerings. It's not cheap at $399 new, but like they say, you get what you pay for.

Peterson VS-R StroboRack Virtual Strobe Rack Tuner

Most consumer-grade tuners are accurate to one cent. The Peterson VS-R is accurate to .1 cent. That's 10 times more accurate!

13. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Korg Pitchblack pro. It's entirely Black and works great for bass.

alembicguy and lomo like this.
  14. I bought a Snark and all my rack tuners are now sitting on a shelf in my gear closet. :)

Ted Mowery, kartiste and D M Lutz like this.
  15. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    +1

I haven't plugged into a tuner in years, probably sold the rack tuners almost a decade ago. I use either a Snark or D'Addario clip on tuner. I love it.

Ted Mowery and kartiste like this.
  16. I've had the Pitchblack Pro since they first came out and have no complaints. It's plastic, but you know....It's in a rack. Just don't drop the rack when it's open ;). It is very light, which is nice. You do have to push one button on the front panel to power the unit on...not exactly what I'd call an inconvenience, but to each their own! Can't speak to the redesign someone mentioned above.

17. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    That's pretty "Snarky" of you, Paul! :D ;)

BassmanPaul likes this.
  18. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    KB1UHJ and alembicguy like this.
  19. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    +1 Save your money and get the Peterson, and do it right the first time. The holidays are coming, and the big chains will be throwing 15-20% coupons at us. Get one then, you'll be very happy you did.

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I use the Furman PL Tuner (not made anymore), mainly because it has Power Conditioning, Multi Outlet Strip, Lighting, and the Tuner in one half rack space. Great unit.

Rack 2 for Web.JPG

Ted Mowery likes this.