1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rack tuner vs stomp box tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Rack

25 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Pedal

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I did a search an didn't see anything that answered my question, which is...

Is the extra money for a rack tuner worth it over a pedal tuner? I know its quite a small question for a potentially broad topic but think of it as in how much you would be willing to spend on a tuner and which you would get more for your money with. Thanks!

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    It depends on what suits your situation better. I have a pedal tuner on my effects board,and a rack tuner in each rack rig. I'm covered if I do a gig where I don't need my effects board,and it's nice having a tuner on the board if you need it. If you don't use effects,go with the rack,otherwise,go with the pedal tuner.

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I try to have my rig separated: all things in a rack are for stage use(acoustics) only.
    Everything before: bass, wireless, pedals is for DI...

This helps a lot with soundtechs: as soon as they see you giving them a DI feed out of a rack, they are scared/angry/...

So the tuner is on my board so it acts as a tune /mute..... and i can play gigs where I bring no amp or rack!

4. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Texas
    You left off hand held tuner.

As a whole, I would say handhelds are much more common than pedal or rack tuners.

My band tunes with the same tuner - a Stroboflip mounted to a mike stand. We all tune from the same unit so theoretically, we are all in tune together - don't have to worry about minute differences between different makes/models of tuners.

Sure, you can't tune on the fly, but this has never been a problem for me or my mates.

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool

i missed out hand held tuner because that isn't an option for me really. i've tried them in the past and i've lost two and had two stolen. plus i want a mute switch so I can tune on the fly. Also we couldn't have a tuner on a mic stand as we already have my rig, our guitarists rig, a kit, sometimes an electric kit, a synth or two and a kaoss pad on a mic stand as well as us so I'd like to try an keep it right by me. Thanks for the input anyway.

6. I'd go for a pedal tuner. It's more compact, cheaper and easier to set up and use.

However, if you are using a rack setup, and have a spare space, you may aswell go for the rack tuner.

7. Id like a rack tuner, as i use a rack setup and the korg ones are really good.

Im just not a pedal person really, even my BDDI usually sits in spare space in the rack.

+ the rack ones look cooler, lets not forget that :p

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    at the min im using a 2u rack head in a 2u box but i do want to expand it to atleast include a compressor, i do also have a few pedals i use too though.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I'm a fan of rack gear and voted likewise. It's great having everything in pretty much one place, not having to worry about it getting damaged in my backpack or just floating around on stage or wherever. Rack gear is usually protected better from bumps and drops and all that too.

10. If you have a rack, rack the tuner it's nice, neat and ready to go. If you're not allready using a rack get good pedal tuner very convenient. If you allready are using other pedals what's one more. Currently I'm using a rack tuner, I have not been using any effects so when I show to a gig all I have to do is connect the cab to the head, get some power and I'm good to go. I have been acumulating some pedals lately and will most likely throw a Boss TU2 on the board in case I ever want to use something other than my rack for a head. IMO those hand held tuners are a pain in the a** and can easily be misplaced or stolen at a gig.

11. As far as everyone using the same tuner. My guitarist just walks over during set up and plugs into the front of my tuner while the drummer sound checks and I'm grabbing a beer.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    My reasons for owning a rack tuner (in this case, a Korg DTR-1000):

• I had a free space in my rack
    • It looks cooler :cool:
    • It's easier to read from a distance
    • It's easier to share with the band
    • It doesn't take up space on my board
    • My board doesn't have the space for a pedal tuner anymore
    • It allows me to gig without the pedalboard if necessary
    • My amp has a "Tuner Out" Jack
    • My amp's footswitch has a Tuner Mute
    • I'm using my amp's footswitch for the overdrive channel as well, so I might as well make use of the other buttons on it!

If I had the board space, I might have opted for a Korg DT-10BK. Perhaps under different circumstances, I wouldn't be using a rack tuner, but right now, it works best for me.

In the end, it's a matter of what's most convenient for your circumstances. And besides, a new pedal tuner is usually cheaper, but a used rack tuner is close enough in price that either one is tempting.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I had a Korg rack tuner for a while, but found that I prefer a pedal tuner. I like to mute when I tune rather than having everyone else hear me, and walking over to my rack to push the mute button is not always convenient. I could have used a footswitch for muting, but that means a device on the floor anyway and the hastle of another cable to run. I just makes sense to me to have a muting tuner pedal easily accessible at my feet.

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have a rack tuner for a lot of the reasons listed above plus the fact that I want to have a total of three items to keep track of after a gig is finished.

I have a bass, a cab and a rack case that holds my head, tuner, cables, and anything else I needed.

I don't want to have to worry about an extra cable, power supply, pedal, packing them or worrying about their present location. Instead it's just "slap the rack covers on" and go.

And I'm sure all my theories are unsubstantiated but I am of the belief that rack equipment is higher quality than floor equipment and sucks tone less. I've done absolutely no research to justify this position but I still hold it true to my heart.

15. i saved for a long time to get a rack tuner and i'll never go back. I've lost enough hand helds to pay for another rack tuner. My head has a mute button so it's easy to tune on the fly.

L.A.

16. SoulKitchen

SoulKitchen

May 29, 2007
    i've been having the same debate (rack vs. pedal) and i think i'm going to go with pedal.
    although i really want all the flashing lights and other benefits of a rack tuner, i think i'm going to go with a boss TU-2 with the power supply. its cheaper altogether than the korg dtr-1000 and my SVT-4 has a tuner out, so i figure i'll just set the TU-2 on top of my rig and plug the power supply into the extra AC outlet on the back of the head.
    this way i have a portable tuner (so i don't always have to lug my rack around or take the rack tuner out).
    any comments on this plan?

17. i have the dtr-2000... even just the lights are worth it:D

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021