Rack Tuners?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 23, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    Now that I have the money, and that I am switched over to bass, I want to have a nice rack (at least head & tuner).

On guitar, my rack fx had tuners built in, but they cant tune basses, and there's no chance I am taking that rack just to tune. I am used to "set and forget" because of a floyd rose bridge also, so I am not a regualar tuner.

Is a Korg DTR rack tuner good? Which IS BEST?

Does it just stay on while you play?
  2. I've got a Korg rack tuner that's a few years old. My only complaint with it is that it is almost TOO acurate. You'd swear you were never in tune. But it does handle the low B pretty well, so it works for me.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Korg DTR-1. Bitchen.
  4. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    Do you keep it on all the time?

Run bass ->tuner>amp?

Or seperate line out?
  5. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Korg tuners are highly regarded, and as said before deadly accurate. I have an older (also discontinued) model called the DTR1Pro, it has a black face instead of the silver, doesn't have the big letter display but I don't tune from far enough away for that to bother me. I haven't tried it with a 5 string so I can't comment on how it handles the B, but I'd guess it could do it with ease. I would recommend going with Korg, or you could get a Furman power supply/tuner, but I would only get the Furman if you're powering more than the amp and a seperate tuner, stick with Korg if you're only going to use a tuner and amp.

As for running it constantly, a lot of people believe tuners hurt you're tone. I didn't noticed any tone changes with mine when I ran it through my signal, I just left it on and hit the mute button when I tuned. I was running bass-effects-tuner-amp at the time. Some amps have a tuner out jack on the back of the amp, you could also put it in your effects loop. Putting it in the loop means one more cable, using the tuner out is just one (if your amp has a tuner out), move it around in your chain and see what you like.
  6. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I think my Furman Tuner/Power-conditioner is the best. It does two required functions in only one rack-space. The tuner works perfectly and picks up on even the low B. Check it out.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Korg DTR-1, all the way, baby!

This tuner is the one I use, and bought it because I had some extra money burning a hole in my pocket(Don't we all?;)) and I wanted something that looked cool!

Okay, now for the not-so important stuff: This tuner is incredibly fast at "tracking" notes I pluck! It gives the letter display that I love to look at, of course, but has tons of features that I never really thought about. Like many other tuners out there, you can easily recalibrate, which can be an important feature in certain circumstances (say you're trying to tune to a keyboard that is slightly out of tune...you can't tune many keyboards, so calibrate the tuner to the keyboard and off you go!)

This thing also has 3 tuning modes: cent, hz, and strobe. That's pretty cool in itself. It can tune 2 instruments because it's got 2 inputs. It has a built in cable check. Etc...you get the point.

It easily tunes my low-D, when I flip the hipshot, just as easily as any other note.

All-in-all, it's my favorite on the market, right now:)
  8. I don't run it into the amp at all. I just use it to check tuning before each set. I have run it in-line, and didn't notice any signal or tone loss.
  9. i didnt get any owners manual with my korg dtr-1 , i just bought it and the store doesnt have another to copy the manual for me.....and i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to e mail me some scans? korg website doesnt have downloadable manuals..so strange.... id gladly e mail back some nude pictures of my wife! jimlisa21@earthlink.net
  10. Knobby

Feb 23, 2001
    Yeah, I would definitely go Korg.

I had the Sabine rackmount guy for a while, the 1601? or something like that. What a POS! Shy away from that for bass. Might work well for guitar, but man, what a frustration for bass!

Just a friendly $.02