Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack units & droppout when switching presets

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Schizoid75, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hello, gang. The quest for the elusive (mythical?) perfect rig continues, for me at least. Right now, I'm curious about rackmount effect units, particularly the Lexicon MPX G2 and the t.c. electronic G-Force. I know a lot of people love these units and they seem like they would really get the job done for me. My only concern is that when I've used some other rackmount effects in the past, I've always had a slight lapse in signal when I changed presets. On a lot of the songs where I would need effects, it would only be for certain sections. So, it's critical that it comes in and out right away. That's the main reason I've been using pedals recently. Can anyone offer their opinions on the units above with my concern in mind? How's about other high end units like Eventides?

Thanks!!!

Sean
    www.stampedeband.net

2. I don't know about that, but I've got a Lexicon MPX200 that I never use with my bass cause it does the same thing. I do use it a lot to run my alesis DM5 through though.

Same thing happens with my Boss ME50B. I'm considering selling it, but there's too many saved presets that I like that will cost way to much to get out of individual pedals. Meh.

3. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    This may be a dumb question, but are you switching with a midi f/s? If you have a midi f/s with multiple buttons (like an ART X-15 or a Digitech Control 1), you should be able to program buttons to turn effects on and off within the preset, and not have the annoying lag time between presets, because you aren't leaving a preset, just clicking off an effect from within.

Ex.- If you have a preset with EQ, OD and Chorus, program a button that just turns the OD on or off. Or if the midi f/s has a pedal, you can set up a continuous controller to bring the OD in and out in a variable degree.

I know you have referenced the MPX G2. AFAIK the lexicon midi controller that is sold separately comes from the factory ready to communicate with the MPX G2 in that exact manner, if you choose to do it that way. I have an ART SGX2000 Express and an X-15 controller that communicates by switching between presets or within each preset (your choice, all done by feet).

I do not have the G2 or the G-Force, but I do use a Digitech Valve F/x as a bass preamp as well as a Blue Thunder as a backup. It has been my experience that many multi fx designed for guitar can work with bass, too. Just make sure the fx includes a parametric eq and not a graphic eq.

Good Luck!

4. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Okay, that definitely makes sense. All my past problems have occurred when I changed presets. I have noticed that there is no lag when I just turn one effect on or off. I guess I've never had a dedicated midi footswitch to work with.

So, going about things that way (on and off within presets rather than switching presets) would probably accomplish what I need. My follow up is how do I know that a given effect unit will allow individual effects to be turned off or on in a live setting via a footswitch? I don't know squat about midi, so a lot of the terms they toss around in the manuals for these units are lost on me. Is this just a basic feature that any decent unit with any decent pedal will be able to do?

Thanks!!!!!

5. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I am not very midi literate myself, and was exactly in your shoes. That's why I purchased an ART SGX2000 Express and X-15 foot controller. All I have to do with these two together is have a midi cable going out from the X-15 to the SGX and another from the SGX to the X-15 and it communicates perfectly with all the preset changes and individual effect changes I would like with no programming necessary. That's why I suggested if you get the Lex G2, get the Lex F/S. Likewise, my Valve Fx is designed to work with the Digitech control one. What's cool about that one is that the digitech products can power the Control One with Phantom power through the midi cable, so you don't even have to worry about pluggin the C1 in. With my experience with the SGX and X-15, it gave me an understanding enough to move into more complicated setups. I now have my standalone DAW controlling my PC DAW's MTC which in turn controls my keyboard and drum machine.

I'm sure there are some members here, whose knowledge is much greater than mine. Perhaps we'll get lucky and they can answer your questions better.