Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack weight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Corallo, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I'm not sure how I did it, but the weight of my rig keeps getting heavier. I had a 4 space rack and then replaced it with a 6 space. Since I had more space, I bought more goodies. Now, I'm going to change out my amp to a Mackie 1400 which weighs about 40 pounds and sell my Ampeg B2R which weighs 15 pounds. What does everyone else do to keep the weight down? Wheels or use two smaller racks?

2. One thing I did was to go to a QSC PLX amp. Then I compartmented my system into separate racks...preamps in one rack, poweramps in the other. Its more things to carry but each one is way lighter.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    definitely wheels. either casters or a dolly of some sort and you should be fine.

splitting stuff into two racks would be cool, except a huge advantage of a big rack is that you dont' need to plug a bunch of stuff in when you're setting up. you just plug your bass into the rack, the rack into power and the speakers, and you're good to go.

jason

4. Very true. I have it set up so its a minimal hassle. A couple of things to plug in...beats an aneurism when lifting a ton of weight. I agree, put everything on casters and let the wheels do the work.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes Warwick, 2 racks is a very good idea. 1 for the poweramp separate, and the other 1 for effects/preamps/etc. It makes transporting easier, and less clumsy. Also can keep your poweramp's generated heat from affecting for cool, non-heat generating components.

My opinion: I rather suffer an extra 10 pounds than lose tone quality.

6. Also, if you're just recording direct, or you use some of your rack gear for another instrument rig, then you can just bring one rack without removing the individual pieces.

7. I have to split my rack also. It is too heavy for one person to lift alone. I'll put the MX-3000a (69 pounds) in its own 3-space rack and set the electronics rack on top of the amp rack. I don't like plugging and unplugging, but I will be able to move it by myself.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have a split rack as well, 1 with four power amps, and the electronics in another. GOOD casters make the difference. Dont worry about the aneurism while lifting unless you already have one, a hernia is another issue though.

Mike

9. I had been considering a Ruxxac cart until I heard a much smaller integrated amp deliver some seriously powerful tones. I've been lugging around a 75 or 80-pound rack for a while, and I am getting rid of it! Don't get me wrong - the tones are great, but the majority of my gigs are on the double bass, so lugging that and my rack and my cabinet is not too cool. I think that I will be headed in the Walter Woods / Eden Traveller direction pretty soon, sooooo........

Anyone wanna buy some kicka$$ rack gear (Aguilar, Mackie, Korg, Furman, SKB)?;)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Danny, how much for the Aggie?

11. I'll PM you. :)

If anyone else is interested in my rack gear, feel free to email/PM me and we can discuss further.