Rackbags - any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CoolHat, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've been using a 5 space Mesa/Boogie rack bag for a few years now carrying a BassTriaxis and a Coliseum 300. The whole thing is about 55 pounds, and it's held up great.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    those rackbags are actually quite hefty themselves. pretty annoying.

try out the Odyssey rack bags. the outer bag slips off, so the rack is nice and neat looking. i've got one for my Aguilar DB680 and Stewart World 1.2 and its held up just fine.

also, if its that heavy, maybe you should try an SKB Roll-X rack? it has luggage wheels, and a handle for easy transport.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, the Warwick rackbags are really heavy. Also I'm not too sure about the build quality, I had three in a row either come broken or break within an hour of use. The wheels on those with that option just aren't up to any usage beyond wheeling back and forth from your car. I tried to wheel mine to the train station with me one night, and they came off within 100 yards.

I have the SKB Roll-X 3 space rack, very handy.
  4. Hmm...I´m surprised to hear rackbags are so heavy. I guess I´ll go for a hardshell then... SKB sounds fine. Thanks for the info! I´m buying online and the weight would have been quite unpleasant surprise...
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Shallow X 2 space: 6 pounds

Standard 2 space: 9 pounds

3 space roller: 12.2 pounds

From the SKB website. I have the PDF handy, HTH.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I schlep it round the subway and sidewalk as well as other gigs where it's in / out of my car. I obviously take care at the edge of the sidewalk, it's not going to make the amp invulnerable but it gives pretty good protection and seems to cope very well with small bumps.

I do have a rock 'n' roller cart, so technically I guess I don't need the roll-x as I could have a regular rack bag and just put it on the cart.
  7. I REALLY want an anvil flight case for my rack equipment. for an all tube, 4rack space head... it';s just too damn heavy to carry around.

Of course.. those are damn expensive though...
  8. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    I am using a 2HE Rockbag for my Glockenklang Soul amp (11 kg) and it looks sturdy enough gear. But I have been using it for only 2 months now so I can't really say anything about the long-term durability. It also depends on how often you drag it along of course, and under which conditions.

9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, the Roll-x is fine for flat concrete sidewalks, but its not good for much else. insides do get a little bumpy, but nothing a little styrofoam wont fix.

still, i like BIG tires for all sorts of terrain, and dig my Wesco folding cart. grab your rack, and be happy.

the larger more cushiony 7"x1.5" wheels are great for rougher terrain, and its as light as a feather.

Wesco actually makes an even smaller one, that i've recently been using, and its just as great. but be warned the smaller one only handles 100 lbs., while the larger bro handles about 175 lbs.

if you want something more heavy duty, i like Ruxxac's version. a wee bit heavier then the Wesco's, but handles a hefty 275 lbs.

10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    pretty darn feather light. dunno what i'd do without mine.

btw, for those lurking ;), if you'd like a super light 2 rack bag, i like the ProTec's. but they tend to be rather shallow, and didnt take too well with my 15.3" Stewart or Peavey 1U power amps. but for most SWR, Mesa heads i think they'd do fine.
  11. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey Joker,

Thanks for the links, I may have to go with something like that. Ever see/try one of these:

... or this:

They look similar to a Wesco in concept, though possibly oriented more towards photographers and their lil' girly-man equipment :D Though they do claim to caryy 300 and 225 lbs, respectively.. and also come in both smaller + larger sizes. Just curious about they stack up to the Wesco, construction-wize...maybe you've seen them both in the B&H store in NY?
  12. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Pro-tec rack bag! Very sturdy, reinforced. Strap tacked all the way round. Not feather-weight; but sturdy enough to protect.
    Or, Pro-tec, as they say :D
  13. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Duh... just did a search and discovered that these Kart-A-Bags have been discussed a few times, with some good feedback. I'll need to track down a retailer with some in stock to take a look at 'em.

Hey... here's a question for ya + others w/Wesco and Ruxxac hand-trucks: how feasible is it to take them (loaded w/cab + rack) up/down stairs? I get the sense from a previous post that this is somewhat difficult with the Wesco/Ruxxac, and may be a little easier with Kart-A-Bags' "stair slides", but not sure if it's just impossible with Wesco/Ruxxac or merely difficult or whatever...