1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Racking a GK 700/1001RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Anyone have their GK head in a two space rack? I've gat a 1001RBII coming today and want to put it in the most compact rack I can without it getting too hot. The manual says it needs 1/2" above it to cool right but I'm wondering if I should get a 3 or 4 space shallow rack and put a screen panel in. I'd rather do a two space,all that's going in the rack is the head.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd get a 3, just to be safe. Don't want that thing to overheat!

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I used a 700rb2 in a 2 space (it's actually in the classifieds) for almost a year in a loud rock band with no issues. The 700rb2 never ran hot. My Fusion 550 on the other hand constantly blows out hot air.

4. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Alright,the head got here today,thank you funkbass, and it says in the printed manual to have one rackspace above the amp so a 3 space rack it is. The downloaded manual I looked at last night said 1/2" clearance,I don't know what's up with that. Anyway I've only messed around with it for about a half hour and I'm already getting some very good sound out of it with my Dr Bass 310 cab and it is very loud. I was thinking that it would take me a while to dial it in but such is not the case. Thanks for chiming in Trevorus.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The guys on the GK forum are ok with recommending a 2-rack space for the 1001RB-II. You could always just drill some holes in the top of it to let air in. Those racks aren't water proof anyway. I prefer a 2-rack space for easier transport.

6. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I have a 700rbII in a pearson 2 space carpeted wooden rack,
    simply took a box knife cut a cross in the carpet and peeled
    it back then a jigsaw, covered it with a piece of grill mesh,
    works and looks beautiful no issues..

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

This is what I had thought of doing with a 2 space airhead built into one of my cabs. Plans changed and I ended up not doing it but had drawn out a removable sort of "plug" in the top that would align with the cooling vent on GK's. Otherwise I'd also recommend leaving 1 rack space on top of the amp.

8. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I'm just going to go with an SKB shallow 3 space rack. I'd also like a 2 space but at some of our gigs beer is involved and I'd hate for that to spill down a vent on the top of a rack. A 3 space with a vent screen in the top space should work.

9. I just got back from a gig and as usual I rested my drink on top of the rack, a 3 space skb rack is the way to go because there is 1 extra space for air for the amp and an ideal drink platform on top.

10. The 2 space SKB standard rack has PLENTY of room above that amp for adequate cooling. The Shallow 3 space is also a good option if the depth of the head is shallow enough to get the back cover on.