Racking the CA9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have been through just about every floor model rack looking for one that will fit a CA9! No such luck! SKB came close at 17". I want to play it out, but not until I get it racked. Does anybody know of an off-the-shelf rack that will fit this thing? It's 18" long and the rear rackears are not removeable!
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The SKB roto roll-X rack fits a CA9. I'll check the normal roto for you tonight.

With the weight of the CA9, the rolling rack is pretty sweet. I just wish the handle was about a foot longer and the wheels a little bigger.
  3. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    SKB makes several models of rack cases. I have the more expensive and lightest weight non-rolling one (4 spaces) and while the Crest hangs out the back, the back cover still fits over it. I actually like it that way (rear is easily accessible). You just need to make some brackets to attach the rear of the amp to the rear rails of the case, for stability in transport.

Another option is the rack case Carvin sells on their website. I believe they are plenty long enough for the Crest, though heavier (plywood construction).

Good luck,
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Do you know the model number? I don't mind the over hang!

5. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    i bought a gator rack from sweetwater.com. fits perfect. Believe it is 19" deep.
  6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have two generic SKB knockoffs which fit my CA9's, and ironically, a 2U rack bag that fits it perfectly.

8. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I've had a Carvin and an SKB but I found Road Ready makes the best one, that's the one that I use, it's built like a tank.
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    ditto on the gator cases.
  10. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
  11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    How heavy? 10lbs is too much IMO, you're already hoisting a CA9! Add a preamp and a power strip ... and I'm looking for the lightest case I can find!

"Plastic" cases have always worked out very well for me.
  12. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey Folmeister, Your in luck!!!
    I use to have "CA9", and I had the same problem with my existing rack; I couldn't close it. So I went to GC, and looked at their racks. There it was, just a site for sore eyes; an "SKB" rack with an extra long shell, especially for the purpose of high power amps. I bought a 6 space unit, but they come in all denominations,2,4,6,8,10,12...ETC. They look slightly different than the normal SKB racks, they're 17.5" long,without the front and rear covers on, and the end covers are about 2-1/4" deep; which gives you room to put the rear cover over the amps large tail flanges. When you see it , just remember, it's completely molded plastic, and has no metal sleeves around the front & rear of the shell. The "CA9" fits in it like a glove. Good Luck :bassist:
  13. I have mine in a standard SKB 19u 4 space. It sticks ou the back but steals up nicely. I have the bannana sideways in the 5-way post holes and the preamp patch with a 90deg and it closes fine. I made my own rear rack bracketts with angles from the hardware store. Works perfect.
    It's a deep amp no doubt, but didn't want a deeper rack. I don't like any of the Roto seriers stuff.
  14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    I've had great luck with Sonic racks. Just tell your dealer to order it for a Crest CA and it'll fit fine.
  15. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you never got an answer to this, some of the Mesa SUS racks will work as well.
  16. +1

The don't call 'em road ready for nothing!