Rackmount advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, May 2, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Where would I go to find a cheap/good quality rack. Now I know there are different kinds. Carpet covered, gig bag style, and your basic metallic type. Which kind do you guys recommend? Which kind do you have? Are there name brands actually? What should I spend? I sure do ask a lot of questions, huh?

Klark Kent
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    unless you want to spend some serious cash.. SKB is really the way to go.. SKB is that black plastic case with removable lids. The rails are aluminum and have little clips you put on them with nuts attached for racking. They also make a "roto rack" which is a bit lighter and cheaper... but the quality of the plastic isn't so good, and the back doesn't have a lid, more of just a panel.

You can buy them used on ebay for pretty cheap, and as long as they have pictures, you can be pretty safe with buying before you try. If you live in a big city, search the classified ads... i bought my first rack case in sandiego for $50, it was a 6 space and lasted forever.

this is just my opinion, and i'm currently looking for a shock mounted, foam lined rack, but unless you're touring and someone else is moving your equipment, it's really overkill.

how many spaces were you planning on?
  3. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Try Genz-Benz. I own two - a four space and six space. Fairly light, made of wood and carpet and very strong.