1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rackmount Effects/ D.I. Set-up Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy Will, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    I should be receiving my Eventide Eclipse this week and have stumbled across a question that I didn't think of before.

My basic set-up will be:
    Bass => Pedalboard => Aguilar AG500SC Amp (with Eclipse in the effects loop) => Then the D.I. to front of house.

I've just received (the last ever produced :)) DB900 which my initial planned use (before adding the rack-mount effects) was to run in this format:

Bass => Pedalboard => DB900 (using the 2 outputs as follows) =>
    a) D.I to Front of house
    b) Thru to Aguilar AG500 ('tubed-up' from the D.I)

Sooooooo, my problem is this. Now that I have to use the effects loop of the amp to get my effected sound from the Eclipse. My initial plan for the DB900 obviously won't work for both 'a' AND 'b' as mentioned above. Plus, the most logical thing to do to get my full rig sound would be to use the AG500's built-in D.I.................but this then cancels out the advantages of using the high quality DB900 in the chain.

If there was a post-effects-loop 'line out' on the amp, this might have been an option to use out to the DB900 then F.O.H., but there isn't one.

Any ideas how to set this up in the best possible way???? Was a lot easier when everything was on the pedalboard! ;)
    (Hope the post makes sense!) :bag:

2. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    No one will be able to tell the difference between the DB900 and the DI of the AG500 in a live show.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed. In recording you can benefit from the tone of the tube DI, and in recording you have no PA-vs-amp channels to worry about. Live, you would have to be Leo Kottke in a small room with a quiet audience for the tube in the DI to be worth the trouble.

4. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Many thanks for your advice guys!
    Don't worry, I'm not turning into the Eric Johnson of Bass with my crazy sonic plans! ;)

Last decision I'm trying to make is:
    a) Should I rack the AG500SC/Eclipse together in a 3 or 4 Unit case
    Pros: All stays wired together. Carry in one trip.
    Cons: Could get Heavy. If the complete rack was stolen, the 'replacement' value would be very high.

b) Keep the Eclipse seperate in it's own 1 or 2 unit rack
    Pros: Can be kept at home for doing simple gigs (more modular). Light to carry. Can be used with provided 'house' amps in emergency.
    Cons: 2 seperate racks must be wired together every gig. An extra unit to carry around.

Also, would racking them together in a 3-unit rack generate any excessive heat?

These may seem silly questions, but have bought and sold so many effects cases, pedals etc. that I would just like to get the right thing first time this time around! So, would like to trust some of the rackmount experts this time! :ninja:

5. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    From what I hear, the AG500 doesn't really generate any heat, so you should be fine.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would wonder about the Eventide though. Some 1RU effects with a high-powered DSP engine (or two) can in fact run very hot. I don't have personal experience with that Eventide to know in this case though.

Aside from that possibility, I would rack them together. There are pros and cons for both ways, but the convenience of one rack case wins for me. :)