1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rackmount EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Dec 17, 2017.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I’ve been using an 800rb for a bit now, and I love it, but in some rooms and settings I wish I had more control? I’m considering a rackmount parametric EQ to take care of that. I’ve seen the Ranes and Furmans and they look great, but I’d rather have a Bax stack for bass and treble and parametric mids.

Does anything like this exist? Any chance it’s footswitchable? It’d be cool to have as a boost/eq for certain parts and save a ton of board space.

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    You could get close to Ampeg style EQ (Baxandal) with any good parametric.
    Just adjust the "Q" to be wide and it will have a more generic tonality for your bass and treble needs.
    You may find that it is also frustrating with all the knobs and possibilities.
    I find I need a higher quality para if I'm pushing a ton of EQ in a tight band with and to a lesser degree if I'm pulling frequency.
    A used Behringer is not a bad way to find out as they can be found in the under $50 range.
    I don't think you would here the quality of a studio quality para EQ in a live setting.
    FWIW, I've used the Behringer, TC, and Rane units over the years and all were decent for live use.

3. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    The best one I've used sonically is a Meyer CP10. They can be found for about $500. A definite step up from all of the ones listed above.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Fair enough but I was assuming lowish pricing.

Brooke Siren, Urie, Klark Teknik, Neve, API, etc. are also nicer than my suggestions; but many times more expensive than the RB800.
    I would borrow or buy something cheap as many times they turnout to be a not so great solution.
    If you do enjoy the sound shaping of a parametric, just head straight down to pre/power rigs as many of these EQ's can be used as a MI preamp.

PunkRocker33133 likes this.
  5. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    If you really want to go nuts, the Grace Channelstrip makes a great bass DI! Best low end I've heard out of any preamp.

PunkRocker33133 likes this.
  6. I used to use a pair of Behringer 5-band Parametric EQs in my rig-

The first one was for the neck PUP's "Low" channel, EQ'd like the tone controls on an SVT with the Ultra Low turned on (or at least an approximation of!).

The other ran in the "Top" channel and bridge PUP, after a Sans amp GT-2. EQ'd to take out some of the harsher mid points in the distortion, then a bit of boost and air added.

The pair did fine, until I GAS'd/discovered a pair of GK-400RBs... Then an SWR ST-800... And then...

They actually were quite good as far as EQ's go. Kinda wish I had them back again (or at least ONE of them). Maybe...

Das Jugghead likes this.
  7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017