1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rackmount Hardware

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Samurai, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Samurai


    Sep 13, 2003
    I was given a 2 space rack mount case, but it is missing the mounting hardware inside. Does anyone know where I can get the hardware for it? If the answer is just Home Depot then what is the correct size (not that I know anything about how that is all measured). Thanks.
  2. you might be able to find what you need at home despot, but you may as well call mf, american musical, or sweetwater to get hooked up. it'll be more expensive, but i've always had trouble finding what i need (or even finding an employee to help me navigate their selection) at home depot.

    if you're feeling adventurous, however, you'll need #10 machine screws (i think they're 10-32, but they might be 10-20). you may also want to get some #10 plastic washers to put between the screw head and your amp to protect the powder coat on your amp from what is known as "rack rash". you may also want to put some between your amp and the rack. you won't have to worry about electrically isolating your amp from the rack because there's no other gear that would share a chassis ground with it.

  3. Also, electronics supply stores (like Fry's Electronics and maybe even Radio Shaq) will have them. At Fry's they'd be in the computer section back where the server racks are.

    Also, Guitar Center sells them in Pro Audio. Studios have racks galore and need screws...

    ps. If it's an SKB Case, you'll need the clip-on nuts that they (stupidly) use. Most other cases just need the screws because the rack rails are tapped already.
  4. Transverz

    Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

    May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the clip-on nuts are pretty cool as they save your threads on the case from possibly being worn out, screwed in weird, etc...


    If someone knows a surefire, easy, and non-destructive method for removing them, please let me know so I can stop prying them off with two flathead screwdrivers and STILL bending it all out of shape, having to spend time after every one putting it back into shape. ANNOYING! :spit:

    Okay, I guess I do hate those things. :scowl:

    And they are called "clip-on nuts"...HA!

  5. jonathanl


    Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA

    The newer SKB Roto cases don't require the clip-on nuts. I just got an SKB Roto 4U case, and it used normal rack screws.

    Just FYI.

  6. They are indeed standard 10-32 screws, so buy them from Home Depot and save a gazillion bucks. The clip-on nuts are great, but when I can get away with it I just use standard 10-32 nuts.
  7. Samurai


    Sep 13, 2003
    It's not just the screws but also all the other inside as well, the inside is empty. My main problem is that I have never owned any rack mount stuff so I don't know what it all looks like, although my amp has the side flaps that show me the spacing to look for.

    So I will go look at the suggestions you guys have made so far.
  8. jondog


    Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The parts you are looking for are called "rack rails." I ordered mine from Musician's Friend.

  9. #10-32

    i only looked at the first post :bag:

    parts express sells rack rails as well, a bit cheaper than MF iirc

    or you can just make some w/ steel L bars from home depot. Get some carbide drill bits and have at it :bassist: