Rackmount Preamp with Dano DC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I'm looking for a rackmount preamp that will compliment the sound of my Dano DC w/TI flats. I play in a cover band that does mainly 80's and radio-alternative stuff and the Dano is my main bass.

I have an SWR Stereo 800 bridged into a 6x10, HF horns off.

The sound I'm looking for would ideally fill in some of the low-mids and take away some of the rubbery twang attack that the Dano has, but still keep those lacey upper-mids. I've made it work with a 31-band EQ but it's too much hassle to lug and set up 3-4 nights a week.

We don't get much choice in Australia. I can only choose from BBE, Warwick, Tech21, Lab Systems, Ampeg and Alembic. A friend of mine has an old SVTIIP preamp for sale. Should I consider that as well? Thanks!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That isn't enough choice ? If detailed and clear is the goal then I'd be thinking BBE from your list. I'd love the Alembic however it doesn't sound like a great fit with the rest of your rig. The RCA/Fender tone stack used in the Alembic might not be the best match with a 6x10. It could be but I'd sure have to hear that one before I'd commit.

It would certainly be worth demo'ing the Ampeg and maybe you'd find your sound there.

Can't help at all on the Warwick or Lab or Tech21 stuff. The RBI is supposedly a little shy on the output side so you would have to be certain that it was capable of driving your power amp.
  3. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Thanks. I'm not looking for a hi-fi kind of response. More like a phat warmth with a solid fundamental that projects well.