Rackmount Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oddman545, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Are there any rackmountable preamps like the Sansamp RBI that are cheaper? The sansamp seems like a good choice to me, however, it's about 300 dollars. I have that kind of money, I'd like to save as much as I possibly could. So...are there any other preamps that would work for me that are a bit cheaper? In the $150 to $200 dollar range. I don't need any fancy effects or tube emulators or anything like that. Just something that'll work. I will look into used equipment and see if I can find any good deals there. Used or not, I'd rather have something that does only what I need it to, and at a reasonable price.

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yamaha PB-1, goes for $100, used. Sansamp BDDI goes goes for 180, new, but it's not a rackmount.
  3. Ok. I'll look into the Yamaha. The reason I don't want the samsamp like that is because it's so small and stuff. I know it's metal and all but I'm afraid I'd lose/break it. I really would like a rackmount. But the I'll look into the yamaha...definately!

4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say save your money for the RBI or one of the bigger boyz. if its cheap, you're gonna get cheap.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just remember, the preamp is mucho important to your tone - choose wisely!
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then get some velcro, and put the strips on the top, side, or whatever of your amp/cab and it'll stay put just fine. Even better, get a rack, and put the poweramp inside, and then velcro the BBDI on top of the poweramp, and boom, completely protected BDDI.
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got one and my tone is not bad at all. I think that Josh's description of the PB-1 would apply to the Max also.
  8. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I seem to recall reading in some other thread(s) that the BDDI cannot be used for preamp purposes in a rig without some kind of modification. Don't recall the details, tho'...
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Depends on the amp - QSC is said to need the mod.
  10. I saw that thread too. I'm going to be using a QSC RMX805....so there goes the velcroed sansamp idea:rolleyes: How come all good ideas never work for me? I hate that. Well, are there any other? I really would like to not have to shell out 300 for a preamp.
  11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I'd second a used Yamaha PB-1. I've seen them go used for around $100.
  12. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Do you have any electronics skills or know anyone that does? There is a schematic for a bass preamp here:

and a schematic and PCB layout here:

Myself, I plan to build the latter one as soon as I have time I prefer being able to tweak my tone at the circuit level. As long as you use good construction techniques there isn't any reason why you can't build a preamp as good as or better than commercial offerings (except where the commercial version has something that is impractical for DIY eg a Bass POD or some of the proprietry Sansamp stuff).

13. If you buy the QSC from LordValve, he will do the mod for you before he ships it - I think its only like $25 or so (dont quote me on that :p)

If you already have a QSC, he can do it for you still if you want to ship it to CO, or have any QSC tech do the mod for you.

Hope that helps.
  14. I'd rather still not have the sansamp. However the RBI seems very cool, but it's expensive. But I'm gonna go hunt around some places and see if there's anything used that's around. If I find something I'll get it. But the Yamahas seem good.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have and right now use a sansamp Bass driver D.I. When I got my Carvin DCM1500 yesterday, I ran my bass through the sansamp.. Well.. while the tone was good, it lacked some low end... I then hooked up my nemesis and used it as the preamp... well i got a huge amount of low end then..

I really dig the sansamp.. don't get me wrong.. for recording, its hard to beat it.. and while I haven't tested the rack mounted version, i would say save up and get something different..