Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rackmount Systems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I'm looking for a nice, fairly large rack system. Large meaning, like 20 space or so? One that sits on the ground and is about as big as a countertop mini fridge. Any suggestions? Who makes the best rack systems? (I know SKB makes some nice ones.) Pricing? Any used? I'm open for suggestions. I wanna fill it with my head, looking for a nice rackmount wireless system (Shure) all kinds of dbx stuff... hell even cool looking selectors that have flashing LEDs and stuff.

P.S.
    I'm not sure if this post is in the right spot, so if it has to be moved, someone please do so or tell me where I should move it to?

2. I've got a big SKB, it's maybe 18 or 20 spaces. As far as construction, it's fine.

But I don't recommend a large case. Even filled with lightweight stuff, it's HEAVY. (And a little awkward too).

I made the mistake of starting out with two or three amps in it. Ouch. Darn near threw my back out. But I'm old and feeble, according to my girlfriend.

Now I prefer a few smaller cases. Easier to lift and a little more flexible, carry what you need.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    IMO, keep it modular. Nothing more embarrassing than showing up at a pickup gig in a small venue with a coliseum-sized rack. Makes you look like a poser . . .

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I strongly agree. Plan on having a separate rack for effects, and either one rack containing the wireless (in your case), the pre, and the power amp or two racks with the power amp by itself.

Saves a lot of weight per load-in and lets you take only what you need for a gig.

If the time comes when you really need a refrigerator's worth of rack gear on a gig you'll either be successful enough to have a roadie or respected enough as a bassist that people won't think "who the hell is this guy?".

I advise Anvil over SKB, having owned and used both. And if you really want to throw money around on selectors and flashing lights, hire a rack consultant. And make sure you can bring it so the kid with the greasy hair and the old pawnshop Acoustic amp doesn't blow your $$$ rig off the stage.

No personal offfense intended.

5. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    20 spaces is going to be huge...I've got a 10 space wood rack, it's the size of a small fridge. I'm with the other people, carry only what you need! A big rack is cool at first, but a small rack is so much easier to haul around!

6. These are the BEST cases made...period! JAN-AL cases are used by everybody who is serious about protecting their gear and is serious about touring....if you don't need to tour you don't need JAN-AL but if you want the best click here...

http://www.cases.tv/

call and ask for Jan and tell him exactly what you want to do and he will design a system for you and then give you a price depending on what you need him to do (he builds cases for every big name in the business for a lot of years....but I agree with everyone here...break up your system...separate your power amp and maybe your drawer to lighten the load...a 20 space JAN AL shock rack will probably weigh in at about 70-80 lbs EMPTY.....!!! A big rack is not necessarily impressive any way....3 6 space racks is 18 spaces and a LOT easier to move around BY YOURSELF (and trust me...there WILL be plenty of times you will need, have or want to move it by yourself!!!!!!!)

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mesa makes some nice racks too...

[​IMG]

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Mesa makes the best shock rack IMO. I just picked up a used 12 spacer from Good Riddance for $175 and I love it. The reason it's better than most is because it has actual shocks instead of foam. Foam insulates the heat and compresses over time, where as the boogie racks remain tough.

Mesa also has the best castors ever.

On another note, I have my big rack, as well as a small rig. So depending on the gig, I either bring the big rig (12 space shockrack + 1516 cab and 2x10) or the small rig (D-180 in a 4 space SKB w/ 1x15 + 2x10 or just the 1x15). I don't use any effects really so I don't have to worry about it. The wireless and rack tuner are in the big rack of course. I just use a little boss tuner with the small rig and I never use wireless with it.

10. I agree with everyone else about going smaller... unless you're going to just throw the rack in a studio or keep it in your house something that big is going to be really annoying when it comes time to transport it.

One of my friends has I believe a 12-space and I can't / don't carry it without help.