Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rackmount Tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Oct 19, 2004.

1. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    What is the best rackmount tuner?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Peterson Autostrobe.

3. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    That thing looks crazy. Anyone else? I'm looking for a single space rackmount tuner. Somethign relatively cheap. I was thinking along the lines of a korg dtr1000, but I've heard they have cheap components in a hilarious (I found it to be) harmonycentral.com review. Thanks

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    1st, this belongs in effects
    2nd, a search in effects will bring up tons of threads on this topic
    3rd, to answer the question, (sort of) i've found the various rack tuners such as korg to be a tad too sensitive (i.e., sharp on the attack, flat on the decay). The boss TU-2 isnt as sensitive/accurate, but is accurate enough to relaibly tune to w/o being so accurate that it becomes a pain. It's a stompbox, but is cool in that it mutes your signal while tuning and offers a "thru" output if you're worried about degrading your signal. I just got one and couldn't be happier.

5. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Thank you for sharing your information. Again, I'm looking for recommendations on a single space RACKMOUNT tuner. Thanks alot.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    If fairness, you didn't ask for a single rack space tuner. You asked what the BEST rack tuner is. And that is the Peterson, which can be rackmounted.

But the Korg and Sabine rack tuners aren't very good. They look Buck Rogers, but inside they're no better than smaller less expensive tuners.

I use the Korg DT-7 and the Peterson Virtual Strobe. Both are very good, with the Peterson being great.

7. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Buck Rogers. HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Peterson looks great and everything I've read sounds good.

What problems have you had with your Korg dt-7?

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, the first DT-7 I bought died within a week for no apparent reason. The store I bought it from replaced it with no hassle, and it's worked for me for the last 2-3 years with no problem.

It reacts fast, is fairly accurate, works well with both guitar and bass, and can be recalibrated (so you can tune to an out-of-concert-pitch piano, for example). It's about the best on the market for under $150 or so, and much nicer for the money than the Korg and Sabine rack offerings.

The Boss TU-12 is another good tuner, which is also better and less expensive than the Korg and Sabine rack tuners.

I actually have the DT-7 "racked" using a blank rack panel and some velcro. Looks good, works great, I just have to be relatively close to my rig to check the tuning (oh, within 10 feet or so).

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Do you guys think the Peterson strobe tuners are worth it? I've been considering it for a while, and while I can see it being great for setting intonation, I just don't think it will make much of a difference in a live setting.

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I think the Peterson VS and stomp tuners are worth it for live use, but the big guns only make sense for a live tech, not for someone tuning on stage. There is such a thing as overkill.

And the VS is accurate enough to set intonation on. I don't mean "good enough"- I mean it's accurate.

Put it this way- if your ear is good enough to hear whatever slight discrepency there would be after using the VS, your ear is good enough to intonate without a tuner. And remember that every tempered instrument has discrepencies, not to mention that even if you get it perfect, it won't be perfect two bars into a song.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Korg DTR-2000 or used Korg DTR-1. You can get a DTR-1 for under $100 these days. Sorry to say it, but you don't need a Peterson strobe, and the DTR-1 works just fine if you know how to use it. I have one in each of my stage rigs and never had a problem with either one. To avoid the "sharp on attack, flat on decay" phenomenon, don't pluck the string so danged hard.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya know munji, i tried that, really i did. For about an hour at GC and no dice. I was down to using a pick as soft as i could and it was driving me nuts. And i wanted one so bad - ireally dig the whole "cylon" thing. :p

13. When I first got mine, the guys in the band referred to my rig as "Darth Vader's Toilet."

There was a thread a long time ago about a guy who built his TU-2 into his rack.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showt...light=TU-2+Rack