Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Well what is the advantage of buying a rackmount head versus a standalone head? which is cheaper? Is it really a big difference?
  2. advantage of rackmount head is it fits into a universal 19" rack system, which can then have effects etc etc added to it and still be carried about in the same box/rack system. Much of a muchness really, all the difference is is that it comes without the handles etc of a 'standalone' head
  3. getting a rackmount head lets you, well, rackmount it. This keeps it safe from a lot of things and also lets you buy other rack gear to put in the rack with it. Kinda nifty if you ask me.

I think that almost everything but all tube heads come rackmount nowadays.

PS if you're looking to buy a rack, PM me.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Think of a rack as an ideal carrying box for your amp. It protects the amp, and if you have effects etc, you can leave it all hooked up between uses. So it saves you setup / teardown time if you have a complicated system. Take off the front & back lids, hook up a couple wires, you are up and running. There is usually enough space in the back of the rack for your cables, and maybe even all of the extra crap that you transport such as aspirin and parking meter change.

If you don't have a complicated system, and don't need a lot of protection, a rack adds weight, size, and cost.

Many, if not most, rack mountable heads can also be used without a rack. For instance, GK heads have removable rack ears and removable rubber feet.