Rackmountable Pre-amp/DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sunnpeg, Sep 23, 2003.

1. It's time I got into rackmounted gear. I use tube amps with either a Sansamp or Countryman for DI (when necessary).

I would like to find a good quality Pre-amp/DI that would go along with the tube/vintage tone I'm used to. I've heard about the BBE gear (BMax)and the Aphex Aural exciter.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you like the SansAmp then I'd suggest the Tech21 RBI, which is basically a rackmount SansAmp with a few extra features. It's priced very reasonably.

The Aphex Aural Exciter isn't itself a preamp/DI, it is meant to be used in conjunction with one.

There are roughly a bazillion other preamp/DI units available... head on over to the Amps forum and do a search. You can also go to http://www.basstasters.com/ to hear many of these preamps in action.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The BMax, and the BMax-T are awesome units from the BBE folks.

I currently use the BBE383 bass pre-amp. I absolutely love it. The only way I will stop using it is when I upgrade to the BMax.

4. somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    I highly reccomend the sansamp rbi, I just bought a brand new one for $300 off musiciansfriend and its a very good piece of equipment, lots of tone possibilities.
  5. Tech 21 SansAmp PSA-1

The SansAmp PSA-1 incorporates the advantages of digital programmability while preserving a 100% analog signal path.

Not just another pre-amp, the controls are designed to provide you with the flexibility to achieve virtually any professionally miked tube amp/speaker cabinet system sound.

There are 49 factory presets, and 49 user-definable locations. Storing programs is simple. Just play your instrument, turn the knobs until you like what you hear, and save it. Parameters are adjusted in real time. With 256 incremental steps, each rotary control increases and decreases in a smooth linear fashion, allowing you to fine tune individual tone shaping characteristics.

Via MIDI, you can load and off-load presets, map program locations, and select MIDI channels (including Omni Mode). Remote program changes can be made via MIDI or momentary footswitch. SansAmp PSA-1 is supported by Mark of the Unicorn's UNISYN and X-oR software. These Universal Editor Librarian programs for Macintosh, Windows and Atari bring more power and even greater flexibility to your SansAmp PSA-1.

Other features include dual 1/4" and XLR outputs for stereo processing - either pair can be set at line or instrument level, and used simultaneously. An Effects Loop '50/50' switch preserves signal integrity. By increasing or decreasing the output level of an external effects processor, you can achieve 0-75% wet/dry mix ratios internally. The non-glare LED display is readable from any angle, in daylight or darkness.

PRESETS include 9 Marshall®-styles; 10 Fender®-styles; 10 Mesa-Boogie®-styles; 10 Bass styles; 10 Miscellaneous styles.

;) Treena
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    RBI and PSA-1 are great, just depends on what you want to spend. I just sent Schwinn a M.O. for an RBI myself.
  7. I've owned many tech 21 preamps including the PSA-1 and while they can be great in the studio live their tone was rather compressed and narrow. The inputs DO NOT like volume spikes or peaks like you find in boosters or EV filters. If you plug straight in then it wouldn't matter.
    I'd say the BBE BMax-T looks to be one of the finest rackmounts out there right now.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -that's interesting, I've used the bassdriver DI with a Conklin gt-7 and many envelope filters (volume spike hell) for quite some time and not had that experience. I do agree that they add a natural sounding compression, but it really does seem similar to what you'd get with a tube amp.
  9. Well y'know, different basses, set-ups, gear, etc. I did ask Tech21 about the issue which they acknowledged saying that their preamps were better off directky after the instrument. It was just that at a point the circuit stopped mimicing it's tube "give" (compression) and started farting. Great customer service btw...lots o' free T's and stickers as well as prompt phone support; good folk.