1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rackmounted effects units, help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Forcemaster, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Forcemaster

Forcemaster Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I'm considering making the switch from the mass of pedals at my feet to a lovely neat rackmounted setup with a midi foot controller or something similar. However, I seem to be at a bit of a loss in finding the sort've unit i'm looking for.

I'm looking for a rackmounted multi-effects processor that has all the common effects integrated, chorus, flange, delay etc. with possibly a built in compressor and noise suppressor. All with a budget of around £300, used is certainly an option.

I did look at the line 6 bass POD, but I fear that all the preamp models would go to waste due to my GK rig giving me all the tone I need, but then are the effects good enough quality to make up for this? I've also heard things about the Lexicon Mxp G2 and the Boss VF1 but they both seem to be guitar orientated units and I can't attest to how they handle my low-end output.

Can anyone offer me some guidance here?

2. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Just got the TC electronis G-sharp. though it's listed as a guitar unit, It works fine with my low B.

It has all the effects you listed, except compressor and noise gate. it even has 16 types of reverb! It has an effects mix knob on it so you lose no low end at all. Truly a great unit IMO. And I only paid 250$CAD for it.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Speaking on behalf of the Lexicon Mxp and the Boss VF-1, Steve Lawson and Michael Manring use both of those units (Steve the Lexicon and Michael the Boss) for solo bass and they work great. I saw Michael do a whole solo show using a VF-1 as his sole preamp and effects unit.

4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    The Lexicon MPX G2 is an excellent rack mount processor. Nice distortions, flanges, choruses, reverbs, delays, envelope effects, pitch shifters (intelligent), etc. It's discontinued but you might be able to find it in your price range.

Edwin

5. Forcemaster

Forcemaster Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the insight guys, has given me some good choices.