1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rackmounted Genz Benz SM12 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theophilus762, Apr 18, 2010.

1. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Hey guys,

So I've had my Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12 (which I absolutely love) rackmounted for quite a while. I love the protection the rackmount provides, and in this 6u rack, I also have a korg DTR 1000 tuner, an Aphex 204, a DBX 166xl, and a furman power strip.

I have all the power buttons/switches turned to "on" on the individual units, and I turn the whole rack off and on using the orange button on the Furman.

Now, before I turn the whole rack off, I have to turn the volume knob on my SM12 all the way down, or else theres a loud "pop" everytime I shut the rack off.

I was just wondering today, is this an unsafe/dangerous method of operating my SM12 and/or my rack? I'm not sure if I'm damaging the units at all. I don't mind turning the volume knob down each time before flipping the orange switch, but I'm wondering if there are any negative implications of doing so.

btw, shuttlemax 12.0 into two 4ohm Epifani UL410's = lovely, chest thumping tone. :cool:

Thanks!

2. It'll be better for your speakers or you turn it down first

3. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Hasn't happened with mine, but I always push the Mute button in before I shut the amp off.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Mute switch won't help in this case, the transients ae being generated by the turn-on/turn-off of the devices in the effects loop. These transients are generated as soon as they lose power. The mute switch is before the effects reurn (as it has has to be to work properly), and the amp's auto-muting functions mute the amp's own circuitry transients and have no knowledge of what's happening in the outside world.

You are better off turning your amp on last on and off first.

5. Fourboardplayer

Fourboardplayer

Dec 19, 2006
    SoCal
    I've noticed the same thing as the OP--i.e.: if my rackmounted LMII is not turned down or off, when I hit the master power orange switch on my furman unit, there's a huge bassy "whump!" I've been switching the LMII off first, then powering down. On power up: the Furman power first, then the LMII.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, the outboard gear turnoff tranisients will occur regardles of the amp being used.

7. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    what if i turn down the volume knob before turning off the amp? when its on top of two 410s on a crowded/tight stage, sometimes the switch deep inside the rack up is hard to access.

thanks aged!