Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rackmounting pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm in the process of going completely rackmount, and am trying to figure out how to get my effects rackmounted. One solution would be to sell my pedals and get a rackmount unit, but that would be too easy. The only pedals I really want to rackmount are a boss OC-2 octaver and my MuTron III. I have 3 open rackspaces to work with. Physically mounting the pedals isn't a problem, but figuring out how to turn them on and off is. Is there a company that makes a rackmount loop switcher? Something like the switchblade, but simpler and cheaper?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    here you go...try this page out:

loooper

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a CPR loop switcher, which is basically the same thing as those loopers. I'm looking for something rackmount though. Or at least something that doesn't require the signal path to come all the way out from the rack (I'm wireless) to my feet and then back to the rack.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, that guy does complete custom jobs...i'm sure he could put it in a rack case.

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That looks like some cool stuff on the site. I'm gonna give him a call and see what he can do.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Why don't you want them on the floor? It just doesn't seem worth it to me for only 2 pedals. I'm wireless too. I use a 10 ft. Hosa cable that has 2 1/4" cables fused together -- basically a dual mono 1/4" cord. One side goes from the rack to the pedalboard, the other goes from the pedalboard back to the rack.

7. Well I went that route whole hog a time back. I used a 2 spc. rack tray and wired all my boxes into the mighty variable DMC GCX 8 loop switcher. The entire set-up was run byt the DMC ground control MIDI switcher. This was a marvelous set-up and at the time I was pretty buzzed about the infinite range of parallel, series, on/off switching for my amp functions, seperate signal routing....etc. I was even a tad proud of my seemingly clever solutions. I used it live twice. I realized that I _really_ neeed to be able to adjust my pedals "on the fly", the ones like filter response, looping, volume..you get the idea. It's a great approach if you want to clean up yer floor scene and have instantaneous configurations at the tap of a foot but only maybe for those content to "set and forget" with their boxes. MIDI is a headache (for me) and I went back to my current (albeit extensive) pedal board all commandeered by my MM CPR three loop switcher which does everthing I really need with a minimum of fuss. Thank god.
    Just my two cents...
    :bassist:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just found this...

fxdoctor.com is working on a prototype rack panel with four loops for $200.00 with a single footswitch with four switches/LED's. Might be worth emailing him about.

9. I just sold my GCX/Ground control system for roughly $345 usd. They can be had much cheaper I am sure. A deep system with massive possibility for relatively modest coin. Too deep for me though(!)
    http://www.voodoolab.com/gcsystem.html

10. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I love my GCX system. I am a more of a set and forget type guy, but also I don't need a lot of different settings for my pedals. Not to mention that I like MIDI, and have no problems programming the setup.

That's just me though. The GCX may be more than what your after. I think Peavey and Rocktron have made units that do something similar to the GCX, but they haven't been made for a while so you'd have to find it used. There was also a thread on here a while back about something with a name along the lines of a GX4 switcher, dig around for that. I don't know if it was rackmountable though. Pair any of those up with a MIDI controller (Behringer makes one, or the Tech 21 mouse) and you'd be good to go.

*EDIT* Check out the Axess Electronics GRX4, that's the one with that had a thread a few weeks back. I couldn't get the Axess page to load, but it may work later on.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. Nice and simple and relatively cheap. Thanks for the info.