rackmounting question-please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Hey guys...
    I'm trying to rack my peavey t-max into the 4space skb I just bought. I'm a little confused. I've attached the amp on the front side, but their are no rack ears for screws to go on the back. As I have it now, it seems like the entire weight of the amplifier is supported by the screws on the front side, as the head won't sit flat on the bottom of the rack case. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Am I damaging the amp by doing this? Thanks alot.
  2. That's how it's supposed to be. The rack ears and front panel are generally built to hold the weight of the unit.

You actually only need the bottom two screws to hold the head in - the weight at the back holds it in place - but it's a good idea to fully screw it in (esp. for transportation!).

The main thing with racking is ensuring that there is still enough air space above or below the head to allow cooling (some amps like a bit of space, others either don't get hot enough or have serious fan action to keep them cool).
  3. Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    While it's less important for ss amps than tubes, (IMHO), shock mounted racks will make your gear live longer. Ss amps are sturdier, but a fall from 4 feet, onto concrete, can be greatly softened by a couple inches of foam or a few springs.

Also, always use all four holes. The first time you don't, some well intentioned person will "help you out" and end up turning your rack upside down and bending the sh*t out of your rack ears.
  4. I'd be careful about that. It might be able to hold it up, but now you are introducing extra shear and stress that doesn't have to be there.

Just like always in life...I tend to use all the holes I'm given.
  5. Like I said, definitely for transportation, but if the equipment lives permanently in a rack unit, it's not really necessary.
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Ooh, you're a dirty little boy aren't you?
  7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The amp's front rack ears might be strong enough to support the amp, but the rack rails in your case will eventually bend, especially as you transport your rig. I've seen cases where the rails were bent so much that they distorted the front enough that the front cover wouldn't stay on. That's a real nuisance.

First: use all four screw holes on the front of the amp.

Second: improvise something to support the back of the amp, even if it's just a couple strips of wood screwed to the insides of the case along with small angle brackets from a hardware store.
  8. That is sure good advice.

My QSC MX-3000a weighs 69 pounds and no way will the front rack ears hold it, especially during transport. Not only does the MX sit fully flat on the floor of my (home made) rack, but it is also secured at all four corners.

I'd never consider a rack (SKB, etc) that does not have rear rails installed.