Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rackmounting Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brett727272, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Brett727272

Brett727272

Jun 26, 2005
    I want to put my Fender Bassman 300 into a rack setup... namely into this rack. I had to get some repairs done and the repair guy suggested it, so I decided it might be a good idea. I was thinking that I could just take off the covering and just use the screw holes to mount it. My questions are... is it possible? If it is, will I need any special stuff to put it in? And how many rack spaces will it take? Thanks.

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    out of curiosity, why are you wanting to put it into a rack setup? will it be the only thing in the case?

why not just get a road case for the head?

just throwing a few ideas out there. :)

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I imagine it's possible, it just might look weird and cost a lot to get there.

A 'rack space' is 1.75" so you can measure it and see what works out.

If it's a heavy head, you might want to support it from the back as well as the front (how I mounted my 45# QSC power amp). Does the Roto SKB rack have mounting rails in back? I have (2) 2 space SKB's, the deep one has rack mounts in back while the shallower one does not.

4. Brett727272

Brett727272

Jun 26, 2005
    I want to put the head into a rack setup so I can protect it from the minimal wear and tear of transportation and I can use the wheel thing to make it easier to carry. Is there any particular reason why it would cost a lot to put in? I'm not sure whether the Roto SKB has mounting rails in back... I'll see what I can find out about that. Thank you for all the information, it should be helpful in figuring this out.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I don't know anything at all about a Bassman 300; lots of manufacturers recycle their names a bit and I don't bother to keep score. If you could tell us something about the size/shape/weight of the amp you might get better answers. I don't know if a 'Bassman 300' is a 3 year old compact solid-state unit, or a 40 year old tube unit weighing 95#.

6. Brett727272

Brett727272

Jun 26, 2005
    Well it's the same model as the Sunn 300T (fender bought sunn). It's a tube amp, 26"W x 11"H x 16"D. 75 lbs, that is, with the covering that comes with any normal amp.

7. I use a 5 space roll x rack at school, and there are NO
    rear mounting rails. Only a smaller door (smaller than the front)
    with plastic locks.

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'd get a road case, would be much easier than having to fool with getting the right rack case, mounting it, and all that extra unnecessary stuff.

a road case with protect it just the same as a rack case, they are just made for heads and things that aren't rack mountable.