1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rackmounting Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brett727272, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Brett727272

Brett727272

Jun 26, 2005
    I want to put my Fender Bassman 300 into a rack setup... namely into this rack. I had to get some repairs done and the repair guy suggested it, so I decided it might be a good idea. I was thinking that I could just take off the covering and just use the screw holes to mount it. My questions are... is it possible? If it is, will I need any special stuff to put it in? And how many rack spaces will it take? Thanks.

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    out of curiosity, why are you wanting to put it into a rack setup? will it be the only thing in the case?

why not just get a road case for the head?

just throwing a few ideas out there. :)

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I imagine it's possible, it just might look weird and cost a lot to get there.

A 'rack space' is 1.75" so you can measure it and see what works out.

If it's a heavy head, you might want to support it from the back as well as the front (how I mounted my 45# QSC power amp). Does the Roto SKB rack have mounting rails in back? I have (2) 2 space SKB's, the deep one has rack mounts in back while the shallower one does not.

4. Brett727272

Brett727272

Jun 26, 2005
    I want to put the head into a rack setup so I can protect it from the minimal wear and tear of transportation and I can use the wheel thing to make it easier to carry. Is there any particular reason why it would cost a lot to put in? I'm not sure whether the Roto SKB has mounting rails in back... I'll see what I can find out about that. Thank you for all the information, it should be helpful in figuring this out.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I don't know anything at all about a Bassman 300; lots of manufacturers recycle their names a bit and I don't bother to keep score. If you could tell us something about the size/shape/weight of the amp you might get better answers. I don't know if a 'Bassman 300' is a 3 year old compact solid-state unit, or a 40 year old tube unit weighing 95#.

6. Brett727272

Brett727272

Jun 26, 2005
    Well it's the same model as the Sunn 300T (fender bought sunn). It's a tube amp, 26"W x 11"H x 16"D. 75 lbs, that is, with the covering that comes with any normal amp.

7. I use a 5 space roll x rack at school, and there are NO
    rear mounting rails. Only a smaller door (smaller than the front)
    with plastic locks.

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'd get a road case, would be much easier than having to fool with getting the right rack case, mounting it, and all that extra unnecessary stuff.

a road case with protect it just the same as a rack case, they are just made for heads and things that aren't rack mountable.