Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Racks and tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Nov 9, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone!

I was just curious as to what kind of racks and tuners people recommend. I need to get a rack for my SVT-4PRO and I also want to get a rack mounted tuner in the near future as well. The only racks I have heard of are SKB, but I was just wondering if anyone has opinions on other types of racks?

As for the tuner, I have been looking at the Korg DTR-2000 digital tuner. Once again, if anyone has any recommendations I would really like to hear them. I need a reliable tuner that can handle tuning a standard 5-string (BEADG).

Thanks!!
    --kid

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    sabine and korg are the only companies that i know of that make rackmount tuners. most newtuners can accomodate ultra low bass tunings adequately.

as for racks: there are genz benz, anvil (which are very sturdy but very heavy), salami, as well as skb. there are also anvil and skb knockoffs to be found on ebay... make sure if you are going used that the clasps that hold the lids are intact and working. ask if there a re any holes or deep gouges that might allow water to enter, and find out whether or not the mounting hardware (and how much of it) is included...

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I use a Korg DT-1Pro rack tuner. It's like the DTR2, except mine's black. Korg makes quality rack tuners, I don't have any experience with the Sabine.

As for racks, I use a Mars brand (it's like Cadence for Mars or something like that) rack. It's made of wood (which I prefer to plastic, even though I've heard good things about SKBs holding up, I just trust wood more), and is 6 spaces. It has done it's job perfectly for the few years I've had it, even though I've done very little gigging with it. Check your area's music stores, alot of the ones around me have plenty of racks in stock. You might want to check out a local Mars since their closing shop you might be able to get a great deal.

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Korg and Sabine make great tuners, I have a Sabine 1600 RT myself.
    Furman makes a unit with a tuner, pull out rack lights and power conditioner all in one. Just something I thought you might want to check out.

www.furmansound.com

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Proud owner of a Korg DTR-1000 here! Got it last week and love it. It should handle your low B just fine. I liked it over the 2000 because of price. But I love/use the strobe constantly. Great tuner.

SKB's are light. That's why I like 'em. TKL has also started making some that look like SKB's, little cheaper too. TKL has a good gigbag, so maybe...

6. I'll second the Korg DTR1000.

I already have a RT1600 (Sabine) which works fine, but my wife just bought me a DTR1000 for our anniversary. I love it (especially the strobe tuning feature).

7. I use a Sabine RT7100 and love it. It has strobe and multi ins and outs ( in case your lame guitarist needs to use it too!;) Its more than the Korg 1000 series, but less costly than the 2000.

8. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I can't seem to find it, how did they call it?

thanks

9. I had problems with the Furman registering my B string! Anyone else had that problem?

10. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Sorry, I couldn't find it either, but I know this works: www.musiciansfriend.com

Do a search for Furman PL Tuner.

11. I am using a Korg dtr-2000 .It works great and I really like the rack light thats built into it . And on a totally superficial note it looks way cool in my rack ! The blue korg logo and in tune led match the power light jewel on my mesa head . I know "function over form " But it really looks cool !

12. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Thanks.

It's a nice idea....but looks a bit expensive.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I use this tuner, Sabine RT7100, It has a killer A/B box built in also, I just got one of those cheepo Mars carpet 4 space racks.
    [​IMG]

14. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Here is my SVT-4Pro in a Road Ready rack with the Sabine tuner.
    Personally I would rather deal with a little heavier rack and have the added security of knowing my head is safe.

15. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all of the opinions and suggestions. I might have to wait for the tuner, but I think I might look into a road case like Bonafide. Question, Bonafide, is that an anvil case? I was worried with my SVT4 that the front handles on the amp might make it difficult to put a cover on one of those cases. Also, does the SVT4 only take 3 rack spaces?

Thanks again everyone!!
    --kid

16. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Howdy, The rack isn't made by ANVIL but by a company called ROAD READY. Every bit like an Anvil case but easier to find, less expensive and better made.

Yes the SVT-4Pro is a 3 rack head. Just need to take the feet off first. Best of luck.

Forgot to mention, the handles are not a problem. Even with SKB racks the handles will fit. With the ROAD READY rack I have still 2 in. of room left with the cover put on.