1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)


Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. wtf_is_a_bass

    wtf_is_a_bass Guest

    Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Im kinda new when it comes to professional bass amp rigs so i just want to know some stuf about rack mountable power amps/fx processors... etc

    -Are all rack mountable things the same width?
    -Where can i find racks (what websites, what brands etc)
    -Do racks come in pink :wink:
    -Is there anything else to hook together other than amps, cabs, fx processors, pre amps and power amps?
    -How do u hook 2 amps together?

    Thanks! And by the way, you dont have to answer every question in one post!
  2. Mcrelly


    Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've been a SKB rack fan from the beginning. they make many different types of racks. basically there is the "US roto racks" and "x-racks" xracks are only about 10.50" deep, good for shallow heads or other short units. the us roto is a full depth rack that should fit most amps and accessory units.

    here is a link from the store I bought mine from: http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=skb&form=prodsearch&cat=3964&cat2=&ob=p19&submit=Filter+Results

    most equipment racks are made to fit 19" wide equipment. I can't remember if it is 19" from hole to hole width or the outside of the "ears".

    you could always spraypaint your rack...

    Tip: buy a rack that is a couple of spaces bigger than what you need so you can leave space to expand later, or especially give your amp breathing room (usually 1 space above...minimum) you do know how big a rack "space" is 1u rack space is about 1.5" hight like this...


    I don't understand your last two questions, but I hope this helps.
  3. AxtoOx


    Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Pretty much anyone who carries the amps has the Racks, SKB is injection molded and I'd say the most popular. I like the wood and metal so I use Road Ready. They cost just a little bit more, GC handles both, so does Music 123, I'm not sure but I think Musicians Friend does too.
    There are other brands just as good, those are just two.
  4. wtf_is_a_bass

    wtf_is_a_bass Guest

    Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
  5. AxtoOx


    Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That picture comes out so small for me I can't see a rack? Can you tell if it's plastic, or plywood w/ metal bracing?

    Check out www.roadreadycases.com an RR6U-ED or here http://www.music123.com/Road-Ready-6-Unit-Deluxe-Effect-Rack-Case-i133031.music
  6. Passinwind

    Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

    Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Looks like an Anvil case or one of a zillion knockoffs. Anvil is a company, but the name has become a generic descriptor as well. Plastic over 1/4" or 3/8" plywood, with a burly aluminum frame. They weigh quite a bit, and are far from cheap for the heavy duty models. If you really want pink, try Starcase or one of the other custom makers. It may well take a special order, even from them. I have no idea about vendors in Oz though, sorry.