Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassDude24, Aug 14, 2001.

1. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I recently purchased an Ampeg SVT-1540HE and I am using the built in pre-amp to my existing combo along with a crown power amp.

As soon as I am done paying off the cab. I would like to get a nice tube pre-amp, like an Ampeg SVP-PRO, or something like it.

As far as the rest goes, I know I am going to get some nifty lights, a power distributer, and poss. a wireless. For all of that stuff, I know what I want.

Nevertheless, I don't know what to look for as far as compressers/limiters go, as well as a good tuner. Money isn't really an object (it really is, but for the sake of argument lets say it isn't) so what should I look for, and since money is an issue, what would you suggest as a good buy?

2. Ok i know its technically setup but it covers many options like effects, amps, pre-amps rather than the setup of your bass. I'll shift it down to Misc. If you guys reckon it should stay in Setup shift it back.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    As far as tuners go I'd get a Korg DTR-1. Korg also makes the DTR-2, which is cheaper but with less bells and whistles. The DTR-1 is the best tuner I have ever used.

DBX makes a line of compressors that seem to be really popular. The FMR audio RNC (Really Nice Compressor) also gets lots of really good reviews.
  4. I thought this thread was about something else. :D
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why a compressor? Bleh! :D

6. bad kids, really bad kids......

:) :)
  7. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I agree, they can be a drag, but I just got this new cab, and I have found that when I play really hard, I get some distortion. It is more than likely from the pre or power amp, and since neither have compressors built in, or clip indicators, I will need one.
  8. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I didn't see Britney in the poll. I would have voted for her. :cool:
  9. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I personally think Korg rack tuners are where it's at. I've got an older discontinued model call the DTR1-Pro, basically it's the same as the DTR2 mentioned above but black and a few different features. I don't know what features are different since I haven't even looked at a DTR2 for more than a few seconds since I got my tuner. The DTR1-Pro is really fast and accurate, I love it.

Also I've heard great things about the FMR Audio RNC (Really Nice Compressor), I went to a local store a while back asked about compressors and was told about the RNC, but they didn't have any in store. Haven't gotten to play with one (the creator/builder is from Austin so it's the "home base" of FMR Audio) but it's got good reviews. I don't know about compressors but brands I was interested in when I was considering one were Alesis and DBX. I ended up not getting a compressor, but will probably get a RNC for recording purposes (bass, guitar, vocals, sample type stuff.)

By the way, even though Phat Ham and I mention alot of the same stuff it wasn't planned.

Also, all the bass/base puns were unintended.
  10. I would recommend that if you're looking for a compressor, that you try the RNC from FMR. I have one and love it. I hardly know it's on. It's the only compressor I've used that doesn't get in the way of the tone or dynamics.

Another device I think is invaluable is the Raven Labs MDB-1. If you use more than one bass, it is essential. You can see it here:

11. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    OK, I looked up the stuff that you guys have listed up above, the Korg DTR 1 & 2, as well as the FMR RNC. After doing so, this only brings up more questions.

From the Korg site, it looks like the tuners have the imputs on the front of the unit, if so, how do you plug it in, if it is in a rack?

And about the RNC, it looks like a nice unit, but how do you mount it, it looks really attractive, but where do you put it?
  12. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    It's a 1/3 rack unit. To rack it, you need a rack mounting shelf (and you can fit two other units of the same size too - like a Nanoverb or another RNC)... they are pretty cheap and widely available...

I also have an RNC, and I love it... The drummer in my band has a Nanocompressor, and the RNC blows it away.
  13. I really like the concept of the furman powerconditioner/tuner
  14. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    Me too.;)
  15. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    My tuner has inputs on the front and back. In fact the back of mine has 4 sets of ins/outs. Don't think I'll ever use more than one with my setup though. So I think the DTR1 and 2 will also have inputs on the back.
  16. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
  17. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    that funklogic site is soo cool. i always wanted to make something that did nothing, but looked really cool with lots of flashing lights.. never thought anyone would actually produce them though... are there any other companies that do that? They need to make a futuristic techno-space version of everything with controls like the photon instigator and the quantum leap-o-rator.