Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bentem, Feb 27, 2003.

1. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    If i had a quality rack full of gear, and it dropped on the ground, would my stuff break inside?

I would never dream of trying that, but ive always wondered/was frightened of what would happen.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    well, unless it's one of those shock mount racks with internal suspension, the shock of the impact can cause things to break.

It's the same principle that causes stuff to break when UPS throws the box around.
  3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Don't you hate it when they do that??? Like really!..

4. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    My drummer dropped my 4U rack off a 2 foot ledge and nothing happened to the gear, it all works fine, and seemed to absorb a lot of the shock.

It's an SKB Rotorack...the cheapie ones.

I suppose a longer drop could really jar equipment up, but if it falls out of your car or something like that...I think you'll be fine.
  5. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Surprisingly, the Roto Racks seem to be more resilient than the 'real' SKBs.

6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Those floating racks cost a bomb though. I'm trying to make one at the moment and I'm starting to find out why.
  7. bleah....do we have to talk about this? Morbid subject...I try not to think about this exact thing all the time!
  8. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have this ancient-carpet coverd-funnysmelling rack, that appears to used to have back and front covers, now it dosent. I think its handmade. It almost bigger and heavier than my 210 cab.

Its still pretty solid, though, its 10 space, and it came free with an old amp i bought.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Good point. A Roto Rack won't stop a bullet, but I firmly believe it'll absorb more shock than my old non-padded Anvil and SKB cases. It's the NASCAR principle: if a mishap occurs, you want the container to get destroyed, not the cargo.