1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Radial Bassbone adding hiss to my signal chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rocksolid, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Hi all,

Got a Radial Bassbone a few months back (2nd hand) as I use 2 basses at most gigs and was sick of dialling in my sound each time I swapped basses.

Really like it's features but there is an increase in hiss noticable when this is in my signal chain. It isn't a ground loop or anything. It is an increase in hiss.

I did my research prior to buying and read mainly good things about them being quiet etc. Has anyone experienced this?

I purchased mine from the USA and am using a non standard (but good quality) 15V power supply as I live in Australia. I have done this b4 with other fx and not had any issues.

Anyone got any thoughts on this or had similar experiences?

Cheers

2. Anyone got any thoughts???

3. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Hey Rock solid. Nice to see another Aussie.

I sold mine to a guy a month or so ago. It worked fine for me but he had some trouble with interference/hiss/hum. You got some lovely fenders listed in your gear there. Are they single coil? Is the tonebone picking up and amplifying single coil hum? Is it just at your home or on stage too? You don't keep your mobile phone inyour pocket do you?
    I know the guy who bought it from me did something to reduce it. I will just check my pm's, I know its there somewhere, I hope, but there are over 500 of them. If I find it I will send it to you in pm.
    Cheers,
    Nigel.

4. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Pm comming. The guy is rotassator and is a great guy. He may chime in here too if you are lucky.

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Is the 15VDC power supply you have regulated or non-regulated?

6. Hey Nigel,

Thanks for sending that PM thru. From what i understand the guy that purchased yours is using the original USA Power supply with an adaptor?

I purchased a non standard 15V Power supply from Jaycar Electrical.

The interference isnt radio or any thing - it sounds more like cranking the 6khz frequency on your amp. it isnt heaps - just enough to be annoying.

I will send this in a PM also in case you arent watching this.

Cheers

7. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    The only 15VDC power supplies I can find in the Jaycar catalog are switch-mode ones. It's possible this is responsible for the noise you are experiencing.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Mine is dead quiet... I'm using the Radial supply.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW "hiss" is very often a ground loop. I know most people think of a 50 Hz or 60Hz hum when they think "bad ground", but pretty much any noise can often be attributed to a ground loop as well.

10. Will go back and check the Power supply to see if it is regulated, and yes Bongo Mania I believed that about a ground loop also.

To the Aussies out there - If I run the radial BB with the original US Power supply with a US to Oz adaptor will I encounter any issue?

Unbeliever, where in Adelaide do you live? I'm just North of the CBD in Prospect.

11. And Slaerts,

Getting the hiss at rehearsal, home and gigs.

No phone in my pocket,

Am getting the hiss with no basses plugged in so it won't be a single coil issue.

All good possibilities though

12. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I have a BASSBONE with no hiss, bought it NIB...
    I love it...

13. Hi Rocksolid,

I'm the guy that Nigel (slaerts) sold the Tonebone to. :)

Nigel supplied it with an unspecified (non-Radial) AC adapter which worked OK but I was getting hiss and some annoying RFI.

The hiss wasn't as annoying as the RFI for me. It was a fairly high-pitched (~4-8kHz) shimmer that really drove me nuts. I could also just hear some fuzzy talkback radio coming through the headphones. Not enough to tell which station it was, but definitely enough to be annoying. :eyebrow:

My noise was not coming from an instrument. It was there when my basses weren't plugged in as well.

I replaced the adapter and the power board with new ones that had EMI/RFI filters (yes, from Jaycar) and the problem vanished. Not entirely sure whether it was one of these or both together that did the trick. :hyper:

I don't remember the adapter being that expensive, so it may not be regulated (I'm no expert when it comes to electronics). If your problem isn't RFI, then this may not help you, but I thought I'd add it to the mix.

Steve.

14. Thanks for chiming in Steve.

Any idea on the brand of the power supply you got from Jaycar? just wondering if it is the same brand as mine.

I have looked at mine and there is no branding on it, but if I know what the brand of yours is I can check it at the shop.

15. lol. Just found the packaging. Looks like I never got around to chucking it out.

Here are the details:

• PowerTech Plus Switchmode Regulated Plugpack
    • 15VDC 2A
    • MP-3492

and on the back (standard guff, but in case you wanted it)...

• Regulated
    • EMI filtered
    • Light weight
    • Overload protection
    • Short circuit protection
    • Multiple plug types

Looks like this is the one:

EDIT: Just looked at the actual adapter and there's no branding to speak of, but it does have a Model number: KSAFF1500200W1AU.

Hope that helps. :)

Steve.

16. Exact same one I have - thought that might be the case!

Checked the USA plug pack that I got with it and it is a transformer style rather than the switch mode style we have from Jaycar.

Hopefully I will get the Radial Plug pack with in the week and I will be able to post what I find.

Cheers

Steve

17. I received the Radial Power supply and it is a transformer style plug pack as apposed to the switch mode after market one I purchased.

The radial plug pack is significantly quieter, and when you A/B them both you can hear 2 things with the switch mode supply.

1. Slightly more hiss
    2. A Hum in the background which is in fact like 60hz hum.

There is a minute amount of hiss with the Tone bone in the signal chain in comparison to the Bass straight into the amp but it is not worth worrying about.

Thanks to all for all your help.

18. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Glad it worked out for you.