1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Radial Bassbone power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Mar 2, 2013.

1. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    I am getting a Radial Bassbone that comes with a 15V, 400 mA power supply. My Gator pedalboard has (in addition to 9V, 250 mA) three 18V, 350 mA supplies. Can I use the 18V 350 mA supply to power the Bassbone or will this damage it?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Use the power supply that comes with the Bassbone.

3. No. You cannot.

4. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    Then I have to do something totally new to power my board. I probably need a OneSpot and the BB power supply and just run a long (dual) extension cord to it... What a bummer.

5. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    This is one thing I hate about the radial pedals - the power requirements are annoyingly unconventional. Ciosks makes a power supply with a 15 volt, 400ma socket.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if you really wanted to, you could easily make and put a tiny 18V>15V regulated converter inline circuit using an LM7815 or even a 15V zener diode to do it.

7. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    Sorry John you lost me. Is this a simple job? And what about the amperage difference? I also learned the plug is reverse polarity (center positive).

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

It is not likely that the Bassbone is drawing the full 400 mA. Usually supplied adaptors have some headroom. All the same, I'd use the supplied adaptor.

I have the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power +2. It cannot be used to power the Bassbone, but it has a "courtesy outlet" on the back of it, basically a normal "wall socket" type of thing that you can plug the Bassbone adaptor into.

9. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    I just got this from Radial tech support:

So I will need to flip the polarity and confirm the "transformer isolated" bit (???) but the rest looks okay. That's great news! I think I have seen polarity inverting adapters from OneSpot... anyone know what transformer isolation is and how to check for it?