Radial JDI - uses for home recording?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lokire, Nov 6, 2004.

1. I've been reading all of the great reviews of the Radial JDI and am seriously considering getting one. But I'm wondering how exactly it would help me in my situation.

I've got a home studio of sorts and do a lot of recording there. My usual setup is like this:

Ken Lawrence bass -> Ampeg SVPCL Preamp -> Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro -> USB Audio Interface -> Computer (Recording to Cool Edit Pro)

So I know I could go direct from the bass to the board with it, but could I also use it with the Pre-amp (If so where would it go in the signal chain?). And would this help me get a clearer sound for my recordings?

2. Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    As far as I've experienced, the JDI acts as a pre-amp. And a darn good one too. From what I see you actually don't need one, unless you want to run the output of the JDI to your amp and then put that signal into the Mackie(which also has nice pre's IMO). I'm BIG into multi-tracking as it happens so that you can blend later.

You may already be doing that with your Ampeg. I'm not familiar with it at all. If that's the case, then the only reason you'd want a JDI is for a different sound. It runs everything nice, clean, and flat. Which is then different, in that regard, from your Ampeg.
  3. Ok, thanks. New sounds are always good and I'd like to be able to split my signal through both the DI and the Pre-amp, then mix the two together. That would be cool