Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Radial JDIs Active vs. Passive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lokire, Oct 30, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about getting a Radial JDI for recording direct but I'm wondering, what is the difference between the regular Passive one and the 48v. phantom powered one? I've got a Mackie 1604 VLZ pro so phantom power is not a problem but what would be the (sonic?) benefit using the active box over the passive one?

Thanks for the help :bassist:

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at getting a Radial JDI (JDI is the passive version) and I recently read up on the info at Radial's website to answer the same question. According to them, you'd probably only really need the active version if working with a passive instrument with weak pickups (i.e., a vintage bass from the 50's, etc.). I know that the top-of-the-line, active JDV version has a number of additional bells and whistles, but it also costs about 3x as much. All of my basses right now are active, so I'm going with the passive JDI unless something else comes to light I'm not now aware of...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this is more of an effects question - there is a lot of info over there on di's and a lot of it is on the radial series.

4. Yeah, I wasn't sure where to put it exactly

My two main basses are active so I guess the passive one would be best. As great as the JDV version looks, I can't justify spending that much on a DI. And I don't really need all those extras anyways.