Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Radial JDV/JDI & Countryman DIs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Jan 13, 2003.

1. The situation:

If I have (which I do) a passive bass do I more likely want an active DI box? And if I had (which I don't) an active bass would I want a passive DI box? Based on previous research it seems like the answer to both questions is "yes".

That being said, the other day I borrowed a Countryman (active) to try something at home on a $5 tape deck and it worked very well. So I went to my local store to buy a Countryman for myself and the salesman (who "looks after me" and who I've dealt with for a long time) refused to order me the Countryman because he "knew" I would like the Radial JDI (which he had in stock) better. He said if I didn't like it better then I could swap it in for full price towards the Countryman. I was about to take it (even though it's like $75 more than the Countryman) when I remembered the active/passive "issue". He only had the JDI in stock which is Radial's passive box. And he said, "passive bass needs passive DI box." But even though that sounds logical, it seemed like I've read otherwise. So I backed off.

The way I've heard the active/passive issue described (as it relates to DIs) is that an active DI should be paired with a passive bass because the active DI is more capable of dealing with the very high impedance of passive P/Us.

And because the impedance of active basses already is much lower, they do better paired with passive DIs which are "expecting" the already lower impedance.

Something like that, right??

I welcome all clarification because I don't want to buy the wrong one as it relates to the active/passive issue. Again, I have a passive bass (old Fender).

Also, the JDV (which is Radial's active box) is like another $100 vs. their JDI (passive) which is already a lot more than the Countryman.

2. wallyburger

wallyburger

Jan 13, 2003
    Detroit MI
    Check out Behringer DI's. I have an ultra DI pro and love it! Very versital. Have used it on active, passive, pre-amp out.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If you can check out the new Samson DI you cant beat it for the price IMO.Remember it is your dollars being spent.With that being said I use the JDV DI box by radical engineering because at the church of were I play the soundman requested it so the church bought it.Oh yeah,the Samson is only about $50 bucks.:rolleyes:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like you want a first-rate DI. This would not be Behringer or Samson. Both the Countryman and Radial boxes got rave reviews in BP a while back. I recently bought a Countryman, and I've played my active Fender Jazz FMT 5 through it directly to the board and into the PA. It is dead silent, and faithfully reproduced the sound of the bass without coloration. Others have complained about harshness when using an active bass through the Countryman, but I experienced none of this. The clarity of sound was comparable with that of my Avalon U5, which cost 3 times as much. You're probably going to be fine with either the Countryman or the Radial. I don't know about the JDV vs. JDI (active vs. passive) issues.

5. Thank You Munjibunga. I value your opinion. Since my original post here I've bought a Countryman (off Ebay) from an FOH engineer who happened to be nearby. I find it to be just as you said. I run it into a $50 mixer and from there to my $20 tape deck. Whether monitored thru headphones or on playback everything sounds phenomenal ! I play an old passive Fender and I'm blown away by how great the direct sound is. Never would have thought I could have such a nice "studio" for under $200.

My results so far have been so encouraging that I'm now gonna start shopping for a mic. As cheap as I've been able to get away with so far I think I can splurge and get the best thing goin'. Any mic suggestions for 10" speakers?

6. What do you think of it? Does it add/subtract good or bad elements to your tone, etc.? Do you personally think it is anything special?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, an SM-57 would be a good place to start. About $70. There are some kick drum mics that might work a little better, but the 57 is widely used to mic bass cabs.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none