1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Radial JDX Reactor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zoloo, Aug 26, 2007.

1. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    Did anybody try the Radial JDX Reactor ?
    It's a DI box, you insert it between your power amp output and your speaker input, so it is supposed to send the sound of your bass through your amp to the mixer...
    I'm interested, because my Hiwatt has no DI, and it's easier than micing a cab...

http://www.radialeng.com/re-jdx.htm
    jdx-34-dds-w-slice-310w.

2. Interesting. Keep in mind it'll be voiced for guitar, supposedly emulating something between a 4x12 and a 2x12. Also, 300W max!? Man, even my humble amp would go close to blowing that up.

3. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    It would be for my Hiwatt, which is 200w, with no DI.
    I don't know if it would be suitable for bass, you're right.

Anybody knows some equivalent products ?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Avalon U5 and (I think) the Countryman Type 85 both allow the option of using your power amp's signal as an input. I imagine they must also have wattage limitations, but the people that are using them in that application are generally DI'ing a low-wattage tube amp. From what I've read, the old Ampeg B15-N and the Avalon U5 are a killer combo. Neither of those DI's has any sort of "emulation" feature.

5. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    THANKS !

The Avalon U5 accept up to 400W !

6. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    Bump

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It should have Speakons for speaker level usage.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Radial JDI also takes a speaker level signal. You still need to have a speaker cab hooked up to soak up the load though otherwise you'll fry the DI! No speaker sim like the JDX though.

9. bassman1nh

bassman1nh Banned

Aug 27, 2012
    Anyone actually TRY the Radial JDX Reactor on bass yet? Radial says it works great for bass.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Nope but I've used the JDI as mentioned above.

The JDI is the better buy, as you've got a high quality stand alone di as well.

That or the Avalon, that was beautiful on a speaker output but obviously much bigger than the JDI or JDX.

11. Correct, The JDI can do the same as the JDX without the baked in guitar voicing, thus better suited for bass