Radical Tube Changing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TyKao, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. TyKao


    Jun 29, 2003
    I've been reading about the Ampeg V4B and it seems like a lot of players love the sound but eventually need more volume, so some of them have the amps modified to accept more powerful output tubes.

    Is this common? Is it more expensive than upgrading from a v4b to an full-bore SVT? It sounds like a good option for me. I'm not quite sure if I'll ever need more than 100 watts of volume ever again, but it'd be nice to know I could get it changed to a 200watter if I needed to. Plus, I've been finding more and more deals to get v4b's rather cheap.
  2. Not recommended. The power transformer wouldn't be able to put out any more power, so it wouldn't do any good. Not to mention that an increase from 100 Watts to 200 Watts is not that noticeable. If you swap in 6550's or KT88's for the 7027A's, it may move you up to about 130 Watts. To get up to 200 Watts, you'd have to do some major work, and at that point, you may as well just build another amp.

    If you want 100 more Watts, get another V4B and another cab to run it through. Then you'll hear a difference. It actually sounds excellent, and you can run one dirty and one clean.