1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Radii for Fender Precisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jun 17, 2007.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've been trying to find a list of the production models of Precisions released since the mid-80's and their FB radii on the net and I can't find one. I'm considering getting one with a flatter radius like 12". I love the 7.25" radius on my Precision except that string bending isn't easy. So is there a list of neck specs for each model that can be downloaded? Barring that, can anyone tell me what model Precisions have 12" radii or close to it?

And can I please make a polite request and ask that nobody suggest other brands to me? I'm only researching Fenders right now.

2. I believe the new Fender P's have 9.5" radius...actually 9.5" IMO is closer to 12" in feel than to a 7.5"

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    There was an era in the early 80's when Precisions had 12" radii.

I'm not sure when the era began and when it ended (most I've seen fall around '83) but I do know that they're the models w/ white pickups covers. I've only ever seen them in maple, no rosewood.

Here's an example of one:

http://www.joetheguitarman.com/83PBASS PAGE.htm

I'm not affiliated w/ that link - It's the only example I could quickly find.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $1550, huh? I think I'll have to pass on that particular one. Thanks for the info.

5. why don't you put an allparts neck on your precision for $250...the Jazz necks have 10" radii...(the P-bass is 7.25" (that's out) :( )

Update: just checked out allparts...for $185 you can get an unfinished 10" maple-board P-bass radius neck (PMO), or for $260 finished (PMO or PMF respectively) ...$190 or $270 for rosewood (PRO and PRF respectively)
    http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_name=Bass Necks

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree. I have American Series P and J basses with the 9.5" radius, and to my hands they feel closer to my G&L with 12" than they do to vintage Fenders with the 7.25". I notice a difference moving to the G&L, which seems to get lower action and plays faster, but for overall comfort they're similar.

I've looked through Black & Molinaro's The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History, and only see references to 7.25" and 9.5" radii in text and the reproduced advertisements. I'm not sure how much that tells us though, because: (1) the book doesn't cover specs in exhaustive detail; and (2) it only covers U.S. made instruments. I suspect, however, that a Fender brand Precision with a 12" radius is a rare beast.

I know you don't want other brands for now, but I can't help myself -- Mike Lull. His P4 comes with a 12" radius, and I've seen them go for around a grand used. They tend to be very light, which is a plus. Even the Lull P5's I've played are lighter than my Fender fours.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    That pricetag is way above the average that 83'ish P's go for. When they come up on E-bay they're usually $550-$750

8. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Unless it's a Fullerton, '82-'84. Then they're definitely in that price range.

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Agreed... and the Fullerton's are vintage specs.

Also, another feature that distinguishes the 12" radius models are the solid white pickguards - they're not multi layered w/b/w and they're not beveled.

Another notable feature of the 12" radius P's are that they're "C" width at the nut = 1 7/8".

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021