Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

radio in my pick ups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by herrera, Jun 25, 2002.

1. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    some times when i play my bass it happens to play the radio ....103.3 fm to be precise!

so what can be happend?

the inside cables???

or are the pickups

i use a warwick thumb bolt on 6 with a wide neck...(killer bass)

and it have mec pick ups....

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Are you sure it's the pickups? I have had something like that happen with an amp I used to have if it was not grounded properly.

3. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    no Skorzen because i have other bass with EMG pick ups
    and i play the same4 things...and she dont play the radio (she...is the bass:D )

4. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I believe the problem is that MEC pickups are really crappy

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its for sure the pickups but im surprised cuz thats an extremely nice bass, and though some people dont like MEC's, they are still pretty nice pickups. Your problem is sheilding. You can get a shielding kit from carvin or maybe guitar center or sumthing and shield the control cavity. IF that doesnt work your gonna have issues replacing those pickups if they are the 6 string wide magnet ones. I havent seen many replacements for those. Also im kinda talking out of my butt on this one but might it be your cable. Ive had poor quality cables do intresting things, but it def sounds like a shielding problem to me.

6. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    you know something...besides that...i try a new battery and it work very nice...and i have`nt had that problem again....

thanks a lot guys!

7. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    is this normal on stingrays? its only noticeable with the treble full throttle and sitting still.

8. rf seems to get eveywhere,
    no escaping it except not giving a good receiving dipole
    i thought it was the strings as an fm dipole is best at about 1.5m
    ?
    but good earths seem to cancel them out:)

9. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It is the shielding. I had the same maddening thing with my Warwick Thumb. I had 6 months worth of problems with it. The thing played fine in the store, but when I got home - radio city.

Mike Lull did his work on it - measured the resistance of the shielding paint and said it had virtually no shielding to speak of. He did a complete shielding job on it and no more problems. I also changed out the pickups and pre-amp at the same time, but that was just to improve the overall tone. One of my pickups was going bad already...

I have to say I am now extremely happy with my Thumb, but very disappointed with Warwick. Their quality control obviously stinks IMHO. Nothing like spending $1100 just to have these issues.

10. I've had this happen with bass before, but only with a distortion pedal turned on, and also with guitar.

First time I ever experienced this it freak my bandmates and I out. We were down in the basement practicing and we stop for a second and we can hear, very faintly, some guy talking about Jesus and sinners and stuff. At first we were a little freaked out, but we eventually realized it was coming from our guitarist's amp.

By the way, if you're talking about the 103.3 out of Kalamazoo, MI it's probably because they put out like this unbelievably strong signal, which should be a crime for a station that plays such horrible music.