Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Radio Interfernce Warwick Streamer LX

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rcorreia, Jun 22, 2003.

1. rcorreia

rcorreia

Jun 22, 2003
    I'm looking for some advice.

I'm having a problem were I'm consistently picking up a radio station on my brand new Warwick Streamer LX with Active circuitry.

I am getting more general static out this bass than I expected, especially considering the active hardware. My two guitars have no problem, one has humbucking pickups and other has active EMGs.

I've tried different patch cords, replacing the battery, bypassing the amp using an effects loop etc. Nothing helps. The Radio station comes in very clearly and is nearly as loud as the sound of the strings. Worse yet it's an easy listening station.

I guess the obvious cause would be poor shielding but all the reviews I've read on this bass go on about how quiet the electronics are.

I love this bass but I'm going to have to return it if I can't resolve this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. You say its new? It'd have a warranty on it, so then they have to solve the problem, either by replacing it (not a real good option, means you have a new different bass, also means running around for them) or by repairing it. And it shouldn't cost you.

Otherwise you could do it yourself, grab some of the shielding stuff and stick it around the inside of the cavity. It'll be a bit of a sod getting it in properly but it'd definitly be doable.

Thats if the shielding is the problem, can't think of any other reason myself...

Josh D

3. rcorreia

rcorreia

Jun 22, 2003
    Thanks for the advice.

I don't think the music store is going to help me. Their attitude was if it's not picking up radio signals in their brick building then it's not their problem.

Something interesting however, I was noticing that the pickups seemed a little far from the strings so I brought them closer and it significantly reduced the Radio interference.

I have to crank the volume and turn up the treble all the way to hear it at all now. I think I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next few days, if it stays the way it is now I think I can live with it.

4. Sweet.

Thats cool that its pretty much gone away, however I can't really see why that would change it. Can anybody explain why it went away by raising the pickups?

Josh D

5. rcorreia

rcorreia

Jun 22, 2003
    So much for that dream. Raising the pickups may not have done anything at all. I just played the bass again and depending on what direction I'm pointing the radio interference is as bad as ever.

One thing that is consistent is if I put my hand over the strings over the neck pickup I can block the radio signals, if I do the same over the bridge pickup it doesn't do a thing.

Is it possible that 1 pickup could be hooped in such a way as to make it susceptible to radio interference? If so I might be able to get the music store to replace that 1 pickup, assuming I can prove there is a problem.

This is all kind of strange, this is a pretty expensive bass and I don't hear many people complaining about problems with their Warwicks. There is a radio station transmission tower about 5 kilometers away but none of my other guitars have any problems...

Rob

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Is the bridge grounded? Things can act like an AM antennae in the bass. If the pickups are poorly shielded or if there is a ground loop in the wiring, or the strings/bridge, they can do it.

Do you have to be actually touching the strings over the neck pickup to interfere with the signal? Does the radio signal die down when you touch the knobs? (the knobs are metal, right?)

7. rcorreia

rcorreia

Jun 22, 2003
    Good questions!

I don't think the bridge is grounded. From the electronics cavity there doesn't appear to be any wires leading to the bridge.

I do actually have to touch the strings over the neck pickup to make it stop but I don't think it is the contact with the strings that is helping, I think it's the proximity of my hand to the neck pickup. For example touching the strings over the pickup and putting some force to bring my hand closed to the pickup blocks even better.

Touching the knobs or other metal components doesn't effect the interfernce at all, and your right the knobs are metal.

8. I'd contact Dana B. Goods, the Warwick distributor. I've got the same bass, live in a metro area with lots of radio and have no problems with RF. sounds like an issue with this particular bass.

I feel confident Dana will help resolve the issue.

9. rcorreia

rcorreia

Jun 22, 2003
    I'm not exactly living in a bubbling metropolis here so it's got to be something wrong with the bass.

I just got a reply to my support email and they sound eager to help. The reply was from Dana B Good Tech Support.

Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like I'm on the road to getting this dealt with.