Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

radio interview gone wrong, very wrong...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by evilbrian9, Feb 14, 2003.

1. hey guys, tuesday my band went on one of our local stations to promote a show tonight when we started joking about our controversial new school superintendent. we just joked and said that he was going to sing a song with us and pay for us to go on tour, then trying to change the subject i said actually we cant stand him (not hes unqualified or hes a moron or he could operate a microwave with a sausage in his hand). the rest of my band kept talking about him but nothing offensive, and finally i got back to promoting the show before the interview was cut short and the owner of the radiostation called yelling at the djs for letting us say things. now, the our friend who helps out and whose mom is on the board for the local nonprofit board-run venue that we play at is mad at us for that stuff and is just snapping at us and saying that we can never again talk about this guy with anybody around. why is everybody mad? most of the town is in disagreement with this guy and when we make a couple of jokes we get the bad end of it, we didnt slander him (i checked we have it on tape) and we didnt oppose his views, i just voiced my opinionby saying, "I cant stand him". he has had various heated personal conversations with teachers leading to their subsequential firings in the middle of a teacher shortage and we are getting all beat up when most people agree with us. maybe if we all acknowledged a political standpoint on the subject instead of being scared of falling advertising rates we would become more unified, thats the reason we got him in the first place, because we didnt check up on the candidates (he got fired or paid to leave the last district he was at for the last 2 years). how can we get our reputation back?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Aaahhh..small town "controversy."

The damage is done. Just put it behind you, ignore the comments and move on. If it is really effecting your ability to get gigs in the town then you could always go back on la radio and apologize. But that's wussy so it's a worst-case scenario.

brad cook

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    LOL thats quite the situation..

I think its ok. After all, since it is public radio, and many people dont exactly like this guy, its ok to voice your opinion as long as youre not coming down to namecalling and other immature stuff.

Those people who told you to stop..theyre wrong..they cant tell you not to say what you said because its your opinion, and in this country there is freedom of speech..

4. I wouldn't get too strung up about it. People are just jerks.

5. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Hey man, if anything i'd think it'd just help your rep. Have all the students saying "Oh yeah! Righteous." the whole rebellion and non-conformity is appealing to youth. So if you loose gigs because adults in the community own the places... start headin' for some back yards man. it'll work out.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Live and Learn. I bet on your next radio spot, you wont do the same thing. You were there to promote your band, not bash a guy who has much power over you.

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Wow, local high school students can't stand their school superintendent.

Now THERE'S a news flash!

"Stop the presses, boys. We gotta re-plate the front page and get this story in..."

:rolleyes:

I think the adults (and I use the term loosely) in your town need to take a pill.

Where they HECK do you live?

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Im my opinion, not a very cool move. It's one thing to give a social commentary on something or state an opinion, but bashing your high school superintendent just makes you look childish.

Oh well, as long as you don't get black balled I guess it won't be a big deal.

9. Yeah, like Dood, didn't you just host a "guerilla" New Year's show...now that you've established a trash-talking-rebel reputation, run with it, eh? :bassist: :spit: :bag:

10. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    i say you make t-shirts with the guys name and "sucks" or maybe "not my superintendent" shirts. theres no such thing as bad publicity, unless your lars. people get into controversy and it gets your name in their heads. dont worry about it.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    just say screw it and move on...

bp13

12. Have you spoken to the superintendant? Showed him a copy of the tape?

:D:D

Merls

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It happens. You'll learn. It's not the end of the world.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree. Negativity has a way of coming back and biting you on the butt. (Took me awhile to realize that.)

15. Ask the Superintendant if he would like to go on the same radio show and tell everyone what he thinks about your band.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's probably the best thing you ever did for you band, promotionally. now everybody's talking about you. good for you.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    you better not encourage him. i hear that you're next!

:bag:

18. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    ya, I I'm an intern for At&t woburn/Stoneham. We not to long ago got into some heat with the town of stoneham do to some "Innapropriate content" wat really made me angry is that (for all you local tv stars:D ) we did not violate any terms on our access agreement. but some how, this certain someone managed to get us kicked off the air in stoneham:mad:

anyways, like said, it's major publicity. our show caused unough, we were put in the local news paper, and everybody wanting to see how contriversal it was, tuned into the ol' channel 9. boosted our ratings big time.

19. ok, for some background in my government class i made a t shirt that said "down with rodriguez!" and wore it to school. i got 3 periods and then my govt teacher (traiter :rolleyes: ) called the office to see if it was ok, they said no, i told them i wouldnt change it because it wasnt in violation of school policy and they couldnt give me a reason from our 5130 handbook on why it violated policy. i took my truancy in protest. later i called manny rodriguez office to explain my situation and get his take on it, it took 4 trys to get a response from him and it was, "i dont have time to deal with student issues". then *** did we hire him for?!?

yes, i have a following for starting this whole rebellion thing (many others have taken truancies over the issue and written to our local paper) and so my band now does for the interview. only a few people knew aobut the guerilla show on new years, but they also knew that i had the possibility to get arrested. im apparently to edgy for this town, Roswell, New Mexico.

to clarify, we never bashed him, we made a couple of jokes but never said he was unqualified. i think that it was a good move in publicity for our band, but i think that it was not handled well by the radio station owner. everyone in town is so scared to state an opinion.

on getting blackballed, theres only one real venue here and they are nonprofit and running on grants, they recognize that we did not bash manny rodriguez but dont welcome controversy. over half of the board are classified as senior citizens and dont really care if the youth scene stays or goes just as long as they dont have to deal with it. we havent gotten any crap from them yet.

we were thinking though that since we have a new cd coming out soon, and since it has been requested almost everytime im at school, we should just call the new one "Manny Rodriguez EP" or "Down With Rodriguez!". i dont really think either of them will stick.

dont think that we are the bad guys on this issue, earlier in the year i tried to get him fired for breech of contract when he drove the school suburban that he had been issued to a bar, got drunk and drove it home. one of the djs that interviewed us in the past worked at the bar and was in the night that he came in. i became alarmed that he was not only driving taxpayer vehicles to alcohol-serving establishments (im straight-edge and a taxpayer) but driving back drunk and endangering others. i tried to get the video from the parking lot of this place but it had been taped over and he got away free.

also, one more thing about this guy, recently he went to our paper saying that he was being followed and wiretapped on his phones because when he got home one day he found one of his conversations on his answering machine, as it turns out, he called his wife and left his phone on, accidentally pressing redial after she had left and catching 15 minutes of him talking to some of his friends in the parking lot of kmart on his answering machine. yeah, this guy is doing great things for our school system :rolleyes: .

sorry for the long read but its worth it.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I see this as tons of good publicity for you guys.

At least good publicity for those who count.

As long as it doesnt prevent you from playing, who cares what the adults who dont go to your shows say anyways?

Peace
    Thor