Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

radio shack wireless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Oct 18, 2000.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my friend can cut me a deal on a radio shack OPTIMUS wireless instrument system for like 70 bucks. two channel, vhf i'm sure. is it worth it to try it, or is it a basically sure thing that it'll sound bad.

and what exactly constitutes a wireless sounding bad? bad reception? changed tone?

jason

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Considering that a CHEAP wireless is about $350, I wouldn't hold out much hope that the 'Shack unit is going to sound worth a dink. There is a recent thread by someone complaining about some Rogue strings they got from Musician's Fiend [sic] ... same kind of deal. I bought some really crappy strings, now I'm really pissed that I've got these really crappy strings.

It's your sound, man. If it were me, I'd stick with a cord until I could gather up the change to at least get a cheap Shure or other name brand. I use a Shure UHF, and it's cheap, but works fairly bitchen. Also, its frequency response goes down to 20 hz. You need to go down to 40 or lower for a four-string bass, and 31 or lower for a fiver. Check the frequency response of the Optimus.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    fantastic, thanks. think i'm gonna hold out for an Xwire :D

jason

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going to be holding out for a long time. Xwire is out of business. There are a few new ones out there, I've heard, but no parts. I've been trying to get one for over a year. I think Sennheiser bought the rights to the technology. They seem to be the only ones who have a bona fide digital unit out there.

5. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Good luck finding an X-wire...they come up on eBay from time to time, but they typically go over $600.

-geo?

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

jason

7. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    The Radio Shack (Optimus) unit is a 170mhz non-diversity system that retails for $99.99. Probably made by Nady or Sampson. (Musiciansfriend has a Nady system for $99.99 that's probably the same thing) Carvin has a true diversity system for $170 which is about the least expensive I've seen.

8. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Yeah...specs on the RadioShack wireless indicate that the frequency response is about 100Hz - 12,000KHz. In other words, totally not gonna' sound good. (RadioShack wireless = castrated tone = no balls.) ;)

-geo?