1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

radio shack wireless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Oct 18, 2000.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my friend can cut me a deal on a radio shack OPTIMUS wireless instrument system for like 70 bucks. two channel, vhf i'm sure. is it worth it to try it, or is it a basically sure thing that it'll sound bad.

and what exactly constitutes a wireless sounding bad? bad reception? changed tone?

jason

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Considering that a CHEAP wireless is about $350, I wouldn't hold out much hope that the 'Shack unit is going to sound worth a dink. There is a recent thread by someone complaining about some Rogue strings they got from Musician's Fiend [sic] ... same kind of deal. I bought some really crappy strings, now I'm really pissed that I've got these really crappy strings.

It's your sound, man. If it were me, I'd stick with a cord until I could gather up the change to at least get a cheap Shure or other name brand. I use a Shure UHF, and it's cheap, but works fairly bitchen. Also, its frequency response goes down to 20 hz. You need to go down to 40 or lower for a four-string bass, and 31 or lower for a fiver. Check the frequency response of the Optimus.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    fantastic, thanks. think i'm gonna hold out for an Xwire :D

jason

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going to be holding out for a long time. Xwire is out of business. There are a few new ones out there, I've heard, but no parts. I've been trying to get one for over a year. I think Sennheiser bought the rights to the technology. They seem to be the only ones who have a bona fide digital unit out there.

5. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Good luck finding an X-wire...they come up on eBay from time to time, but they typically go over $600.

-geo?

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

jason

7. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    The Radio Shack (Optimus) unit is a 170mhz non-diversity system that retails for $99.99. Probably made by Nady or Sampson. (Musiciansfriend has a Nady system for $99.99 that's probably the same thing) Carvin has a true diversity system for $170 which is about the least expensive I've seen.

8. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Yeah...specs on the RadioShack wireless indicate that the frequency response is about 100Hz - 12,000KHz. In other words, totally not gonna' sound good. (RadioShack wireless = castrated tone = no balls.) ;)

-geo?