Radio Signal through Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by addy, Jun 10, 2004.

1. addy

May 18, 2004
    I've been playing my Eden Metro all day, and it has been picking up RF signal (FM Radio!), and I cannot seem to troubleshoot this problem.
    It doesn't seem to be the cable (which is custom made, brand new), and none of my other amps pick up RF when played through with the same bass and cable. It seems to be input 2 of the Metro which displays the strongest RF signal vs input 1.

Please help me out with ideas...
  2. What you are hearing (radio thru a tube equipped instrument amp) is not uncommon.

I've only experienced that one time. When I left the facility in which my amp was picking up RF, I went outside, looked around and sure enough.... there was a radio antenna within half a block.

Don't sweat it.... unless your amp never leaves the place in which you experience the problem, or unless the RF is loud enough to really interfere with your session. Typically, the RF interference is amplified at such a very low level (you can only hear it in a dead silent room) that it would not affect anything other than critical recording.
  3. I was playing a standup through a little combo amp once, and it starting preaching to me all of a sudden. This scared the **** out of me until I realized it was the radio broadcast of a local religious station. Apparently stand up basses make good attennas. This wasn't just a low level signal, it was loud.
  4. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    We had this problem just the other day. We were playing "Gimme Three Steps" and all of the sudden there were spanish harmonies at quite a loud volume.

We all stopped playing and heard a spanish radio station really loud over one of the Marshalls. After bypassing effects one by one, it turned out to be the Mesa Bottlerocket that was picking up the RF, even when it was bypassed (though louder when it was on).

It didn't go away for quite a while, so we just had off-key spanish harmonies all practice.
  5. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Try playing with the Ground switch on your Eden. I have this same problem with my WT-400 at one particular club in town. I can't remember if I grounded it or lifted the ground, but one of those settings sovled the problem.

6. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Just recently did a charity gig at Husky Stadium in Seattle...

My G&Ls were feeding an FM signal to my Ashdown amp... I was pushing my head at about 60%, and it was noticable to us on stage, but not a big deal. It hasn't happened since. I think the location just had really strong RF radiation bouncing around.

7. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    why is it always the bass / bass amp that picks up the radio waves...wouldnt a guitar / guitar amp be more likely?
  8. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well in my case it was a guitar amp. Well, a distortion box running into the amp.
  9. addy

May 18, 2004
    The information above is much appreciated :)

Additionally, does anybody have experience with Ferrite Beads which can be snapped onto cabling to reduce RF interference?